Syro-Malankara Catholic Eparchy of the United States of America and Canada
Eparchy of Saint Mary, Queen of Peace
|Ecclesiastical province||Immediately subject to the Major Archbishop of Trivandrum|
|Sui iuris church||Syro-Malankara Catholic Church|
|Cathedral||St. Vincent de Paul Malankara Syrian Catholic Cathedral, Elmont, New York|
|Patron saint||Mary, Queen of Peace|
|Bishop||Philippos Stephanos Thottathil|
|Vicar General||Augustine Mangalath|
The Syro-Malankara Catholic Eparchy of St. Mary, Queen of Peace, of the United States of America and Canada is the North American eparchy for the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church of the Catholic Church. The Syro-Malankara Church observes the Antiochian Rite in the Syriac language.
Its Cathedral episcopal see is the St. Vincent de Paul Syro Malankara Catholic Cathedral in Elmont, New York.
In 2001, the Holy Synod of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church requested that Pope John Paul II establish a jurisdiction for Syro-Malankara parishes in the United States, which had each been functioning under the direction of the local Latin Church bishops, and requested the appointment of a proper Ordinary of the church sui iuris. On July 14, 2010, Pope Benedict XVI erected the Syro-Malankara Catholic Apostolic Exarchate in the United States, a missionary pre-diocesan apostolic exarchate. Thomas Eusebius, formerly secretary general of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Major Archeparchy of Trivandrum, became the first Exarch. In the sole incumbent was also vested the office of Apostolic Visitor in Canada of the Syro-Malankars.
- President: Philippos Stephanos
- Secretary: Philipose Mathew
- Syncellus: Peter Kochery, Corepiscopa
- Vicar General: Augustine Mangalath
- Leader of Media Relations: Mohan P. Varughese
(all of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church)
Apostolic Exarchs of United States of America
- Thomas Eusebius (July 14, 2010 – January 4, 2016), Titular Bishop of Lares (Africa), Apostolic Visitor in Canada of the Syro-Malankars, Apostolic Visitor in Europe of the Syro-Malankarites (July 14, 2010 – present)
Eparchs of United States of America and Canada
- Thomas Eusebius (January 4, 2016 – September 23, 2017), remains Apostolic Visitor in Europe of the Syro-Malankarites
- Philippos Stephanos (October 28, 2017 – present)
The Curia of the Eparchy
|Chief Vicar General||Augustine Mangalath|
|Chancellor and Procurator||Saji Mukkoot|
Eparchial Chancery (Aramana): 1500 De Paul Street Elmont, NY 11003
|Eparch||Philippos Stephanos Thottathil|
There are 16 clergy serving in the Eparchy and 17 parishes and missions.
Parishes and missions are located in 10 US states and 2 provinces of Canada.
- List of Catholic dioceses (structured view)
- List of the Catholic dioceses of the United States
- List of the Catholic bishops of the United States
- St. Jude Syro Malankara Catholic Church
- "The Heavenly Patroness of the Exarchate".
- "RINUNCE E NOMINE". Press Office of the Holy See. July 14, 2010. Archived from the original on July 28, 2011.
- "New Apostolic Exarchate for Syro-Malankara Church". ZENIT. July 14, 2010. Archived from the original on June 7, 2011.
- In general
- St. Mary, Queen of Peace Syro-Malankara Catholic Eparchy of the United States of America and Canada official website
- GigaCatholic, with incumbent biography links
- Pope Erects Exarchate For Syro-Malankara Catholics In U.S.; Names Priest From India As First Bishop (press release). July 14, 2010. U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops website
- Church News