Syro-Malankara Catholic Eparchy of the United States of America and Canada
|Eparchy of Saint Mary, Queen of Peace|
|Ecclesiastical province||Immediately subject to the Holy See|
|Sui iuris church||Syro-Malankara Catholic Church|
|Cathedral||St. Vincent de Paul Malankara Syrian Catholic Cathedral, Elmont, New York|
|Patron saint||Mary, Queen of Peace|
|Bishop||Thomas Mar Eusebius|
|Vicar General||Peter Kochery|
The Syro-Malankara Catholic Eparchy of St. Mary, Queen of Peace, of the United States of America and Canada is the North American eparchy for the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church of the Catholic Church. The Syro-Malankara Church observes the Antiochian Rite in the Syriac language.
The future diocese was erected by Pope Benedict XVI as Syro-Malankar(a) (Catholic) Apostolic Exarchate in the United States, a missionary pre-diocesan apostolic exarchate for a continent previously without proper Ordinary of the church sui iuris, on July 14, 2010 upon request of the Holy Synod of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church, in 2001. Thomas Mar Eusebius, formerly secretary general of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Major Archeparchy of Trivandrum, became the first Exarch. In the sole incumbent was also vested the office of Apostolic Visitor in Canada of the Syro-Malankars.
On January 4, 2016, Pope Francis promoted and renamed it as the Eparchy of St. Mary, Queen of Peace, of the United States of America and Canada, adding Canada formally to its jurisdiction and including a Marian dedication to the full title. An eparchy is a territory, the same ecclesiastical structure as a Latin Church diocese. The incumbent exarch was promoted to first eparch (bishop). In his see remains vested the office of Apostolic Visitor in Europe (where the church has no proper Ordinary) of the Syro-Malankars.
(all of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church)
Apostolic Exarchs of United States of America
- Thomas Eusebios Naickamparampil (July 14, 2010 – January 4, 2016), Titular Bishop of Lares (Africa), Apostolic Visitor in Canada of the Syro-Malankars, Apostolic Visitor in Europe of the Syro-Malankars (July 14, 2010–present)
Eparchs of United States of America and Canada
- Thomas Eusebios Naickamparampil (January 4, 2016–present), remains Apostolic Visitor in Europe of the Syro-Malankars
The Curia of the Exarchate
|Chief Vicar General||Peter Kochery|
|Chancellor and Procurator||Augustine Mangalath|
Exarchial Chancery (Aramana): 1500 De Paul Street Elmont, NY 11003
|Bishop||Thomas Mar Eusebius|
There are 16 clergy serving in the Eparchy and 16 parishes and missions.
Parishes and missions are located in 9 US states and 2 provinces of Canada:
- Center Line, Michigan
- Elmont, New York
- Evanston, Illinois
- Forestville, Maryland
- Los Angeles, California
- Mesquite, Texas
- Miami Gardens, FL
- New Rochelle, New York
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Rahway, New Jersey
- Spring Valley, New York
- Stafford, Texas
- San Jose, California
- List of Catholic dioceses (structured view)
- List of the Catholic dioceses of the United States
- List of the Catholic bishops of the United States
- St. Jude Syro Malankara Catholic Church
- "The Heavenly Patroness of the Exarchate".
- "RINUNCE E NOMINE". Press Office of the Holy See. July 14, 2010.
- "New Apostolic Exarchate for Syro-Malankara Church". ZENIT. July 14, 2010.
- In general
- St. Mary, Queen of Peace Syro-Malankara Catholic Eparchy of the United States of America and Canada official website
- GigaCatholic, with incumbent biography links
- Pope Erects Exarchate For Syro-Malankara Catholics In U.S.; Names Priest From India As First Bishop (press release). July 14, 2010. U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops website
- Miami, FL: St. Mary's Syro Malankara Catholic Church
- Queens, NY: St. Basil's Syro Malankara Catholic Church
- Philadelphia, PA: St. Jude Syro Malankara Catholic Church
- Toronto, Ont., Canada: St. Mary's Syro Malankara Catholic Mission
- Long Island, NY: St. John Chrysostom Syro Malankara Catholic Church
- Church News