This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Products||Super U, Marché U, Super U, Utile|
|Revenue||$19.692 billion (2009)|
It owns the trademarks Hyper U, Super U, Marché U and Utile, which are used by its members. It had a pre-tax turnover of 12.7 billion euros in 2002 and 13.8 billion in 2003, rising to 15.6 billion euros in 2007; this makes the company the sixth largest retail group in France.
It is directly descended from the Pain Quotidien ('daily bread') cooperative which was founded in western France in 1894. It arranged a strategic alliance with the larger E.Leclerc supermarket group in 1999.
There are four brands found within Système U:
- The largest (in size terms) is the hypermarket Hyper U, which accounts for 15.89% of the group. There are 71 Hyper U stores, which account for a total of 239,293 square metres of retail space (at an average of 4,985 square metres per store). The average spend per trip is €43.60. These are generally found outside larger towns, but normally as stand-alone structures (rather than as part of a shopping centre)
- The next brand down (in terms of size) is Super U which accounts for 79.58% of the group. There are 773 Super U stores, which account for a total of 1,355,004 square metres of retail space (at an average of 2,016 square metres per store). The average spend per trip is €33.30. These are typical supermarkets, and are found either in the centre or on the outskirts of smaller towns. Again they exist as standalone structures.
- Within city centres (and in rural areas), there are smaller stores known as U Express, which account for 4.53% of the group. There are 294 U Express stores, which account for a total of 104,468 square metres of retail space (at an average of 730 square metres per store). The average spend per trip is €17.00.
- Utile are the smallest brand stores in systeme U they're usually run as Independent convenience stores. They are found mainly in small towns, village centers and on main road stops (Excluding dual carriageways and motorways) to occupy rural areas of France where people in rural areas can drive too at a short distance to get a few things quick. They usually do not accept Systeme U clubcards as the stores are run as independent.
Utile marche is supermarket with 410 stores across France.
- "Mentions Légales." Système U. Retrieved on 20 November 2010. "Système U Centrale Nationale - Parc Tertiaire SILIC 72/92, avenue Robert Schuman - 94533 Rungis Cede."
- "Direction générale de la compétitivité, de l'industrie et des services | Direction générale de la compétitivité, de l'industrie et des services" (PDF) (in French). Pme.gouv.fr. Retrieved 2013-12-18.
- Système U corporate website
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Système U.|