System Administrator Appreciation Day
|System Administrator Appreciation Day|
|Date||Last Friday in July|
|2019 date||July 26|
|2020 date||July 31|
|2021 date||July 30|
|2022 date||July 29|
|Related to||Day of the Programmer|
System Administrator Appreciation Day, also known as Sysadmin Day, SysAdminDay, is an annual event created by system administrator Ted Kekatos. The event exists to show appreciation for the work of sysadmins and other IT workers. It is celebrated on the last Friday in July.
The first System Administrator Appreciation Day was celebrated on July 28, 2000. Kekatos was inspired to create the special day by a Hewlett-Packard magazine advertisement in which a system administrator is presented with flowers and fruit-baskets by grateful co-workers as thanks for installing new printers. Kekatos had just installed several of the same model printer at his workplace.
The official SysAdmin Day website includes many suggestions for the proper observation of the holiday. Most common is cake and ice cream. There are many international websites which celebrate the holiday.
Many geek and Internet culture businesses, such as O'Reilly Media, also honor the holiday with special product offerings and contests. Various filk songs have been written to commemorate the day. The songs have reached a level of popularity where they are also covered by other performers.
"Sysadmin Day" in Russia
Since 2006, the All-Russia System Administrator Gathering is held annually near Kaluga city. In present times thousands of people come there from more than 150 cities of Russia, Ukraine, Belarus and Kazakhstan. There is also a separate event near Kaluga called LinuxFest which is held on the last Friday in July. There is also an alike regular event in Novosibirsk on the bank of Novosibirsk Reservoir.
Ekaterinburg technicians also celebrate the last July Friday. Before 2010 there were spontaneous gatherings, and since 2010 the event received official permission from Ekaterinburg authorities to be annually held near famous Keyboard monument in the city centre with support from IT companies. There are "sysadmin competitions" between participants: they throw defunct PC mice to reach maximum distance and also throw such mice (with their "tails" cut out) within an empty distant computer case used as basket. Additionally, they powerlift a bundle of unused HDDs. In 2016 during such an event a memorial plaque was set up at the monument to honor Eugene Zorin, the Ekaterinburg FidoNet organizer and Internet pioneer who died recently.
- Nic (2011-07-28). "Interview with the founder of System Administrator Appreciation Day Ted Kekatos". Spiceworks. Retrieved 2020-08-07.
- "Happy Sysadmin Day!". Archived from the original (Flash) on 2020-01-30. Retrieved 2020-08-07.
- "UK Unix & Open Systems User Group: Happy SysAdmin Day". UKUUG. Retrieved 2020-08-07.
- on YouTube
- on YouTube
- Hoyt, Elizabeth (2001-07-27). "System Administrator Appreciation Day". Retrieved 2020-08-07.
- "Geeks amassed". Russia Today. 2009-08-01. Retrieved 2020-08-07.
- "В Екатеринбурге впервые официально отметят День системного администратора" [System Administrator Day will be officially celebrated in Yekaterinburg for the first time] (in Russian). 2010-07-29. Retrieved 2020-08-07.
- "Cисадмины Екатеринбурга отмечали свой профессиональный праздник у памятника клавиатуре" [Yekaterinburg sysadmins celebrated their professional holiday at the keyboard monument]. Komsomolskaya Pravda. 2016-07-29. Retrieved 2020-08-07.
- (in Russian) n:ru:Память уральского общественника Евгения Зорина увековечили на одной из клавиш Памятника клавиатуре [The memory of the Ural public figure Yevgeny Zorin was immortalized on one of the keys of the Keyboard Monument]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to System Administrator Appreciation Day.|