System Management Controller
The System Management Controller (SMC) is a subsystem of Intel and Apple processor-based Macintosh computers. It is similar in function to the older SMU or PMU of non-Intel Macintosh computers.
The SMC has roles in controlling thermal and power management, battery charging, video mode switching, sleep and wake, hibernation, and LED indicators. It also enables enforcement of the macOS End User License, allowing macOS to identify when it is running on non-Apple hardware.
- Embedded controller (EC)
- Power management integrated circuit (PMIC)
- Power Management Unit (PMU)
- System Management Unit (SMU)
- Apple T2
- ^ "HT2368: About the SMC Firmware Updates". Official Apple Support. Archived from the original on 2008-12-23.
- ^ "HT202040: About the SMC Firmware Updates". Official Apple Support. Retrieved 2018-04-28.
- ^ Randal Schwartz (August 11, 2010). "VirtualBox". FLOSS Weekly (Podcast). 130. TWiT.tv. Retrieved 2018-04-28.