System Management Controller
The SMC has roles in controlling thermal and power management, battery charging, video mode switching, sleep and wake, hibernation, and LED indicators. It also enables enforcement of the macOS End User License, allowing macOS to identify when it is running on non-Apple hardware.
- Baseboard management controller (BMC)
- Embedded controller (EC)
- Enhanced Serial Peripheral Interface Bus (eSPI)
- Low Pin Count (LPC)
- Power management integrated circuit (PMIC)
- Power Management Unit (PMU)
- System Management Bus (SMBus)
- System Management Unit (SMU)
- "HT2368: About the SMC Firmware Updates". Official Apple Support. Archived from the original on 2008-12-23.
- "HT202040: About the SMC Firmware Updates". Official Apple Support. Retrieved 2018-04-28.
- Randal Schwartz (August 11, 2010). "VirtualBox". FLOSS Weekly (Podcast). 130. TWiT.tv. Retrieved 2018-04-28.