Târgu Mureș International Airport
|Târgu Mureș Transylvania Airport
Aeroportul Transilvania Târgu Mureș
|Owner||Mureș County Council|
|Location||Vidrasău, Mureș County|
|Focus city for||Wizz Air|
|Elevation AMSL||963 ft / 294 m|
Târgu Mureș Transylvania Airport (Romanian: Aeroportul Transilvania Târgu Mureș) (IATA: TGM, ICAO: LRTM) is a minor international airport located 14 km (8.7 mi) southwest of Târgu Mureș, Mureș County, in central Romania. Until May 2006, the official name was Târgu Mureș Vidrasău Airport (for the village 17 km (11 mi) outside of Târgu Mureș where it is located).
Opened in 1936, Târgu Mureș's first airport was built 2.5 kilometers away from the city centre. The airport was rebuilt in its current location in the 1960s, and inaugurated in 1969.
After 2000, the airport has undergone extensive renovation. In October 2005 a new international terminal was opened and Category II instrument landing system was installed, allowing the handling of flights 24 hours a day.
In December 2016, the county government administrator started a new modernization program. The project, planned to be completed in 2017, involves the refurbishment of the runway and the apron.
Airlines and destinations
|Wizz Air||Beauvais, Budapest, Dortmund, Hahn, Karlsruhe/Baden-Baden, London-Luton, Madrid, Memmingen, Rome-Ciampino (all suspended temporarily, until at least 21 December 2017)|
- Aviation in Romania
- Transport in Romania
- List of airports in Romania
- List of the busiest airports in Romania
- EAD Basic Archived January 12, 2011, at WebCite
- Târgu Mureș Airport in 2012 at punctul.ro (in Romanian)
- ORDIN 169/1.801. Planul national de actiune privind reducerea emisiilor de gaze cu efect de seră în domeniul aviatiei civile (in Romanian)
- Press release for 2013 (in Romanian)
- History of the airport (in Romanian)
- În ce constă proiectul de reabilitare a pistei Aeroportului Transilvania at zi-de-zi.ro (in Romanian)
Media related to Târgu Mureș International Airport at Wikimedia Commons