This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2021)
Tårnby (Danish pronunciation: [ˈtsʰɒːnˌpyˀ]) is a town in Denmark, the seat of Tårnby Municipality in the Capital Region of Denmark. It is located approximately 6.5 kilometres (4.0 mi) south of central Copenhagen on the island of Amager. Neighbouring settlements include the Copenhagen suburb of Sundbyvester to the north and Kastrup to the south. Copenhagen Airport is situated to the east of Tårnby. It includes the islets Saltholm and Peberholm.
While there's no clear date for the founding of Tårnby, archaeological expeditions prior to the building of the Øresund Bridge suggests that the first traces of Tårnby have originated around the 12th century, around a farm from which the village grew.
In the 16th century the Danish King Christian II invited Dutch settlers to Amager. Because of this, Tårnby, like the neighbouring city Dragør, also has small traces of Dutch history and culture.
The town is situated in the island of Amager, close to Dragør, in the southern suburbs of Copenhagen and is part of the capital's urban area. The terrain is quite flat and doesn't rise more than 8 meters (appr. 26 feet) above sea level. Tårnby also incorporates the islands of Saltholm and Peberholm, natural and artificial respectively, both situated in the Øresund Strait.
While Tårnby has a history of farming, it has been almost completely urbanised, leaving only small traces of farmland in the southernmost parts. The westernmost part of the municipality contains Amager Fælled, a protected wildlife and recreational area. As such, the area is primarily used for birdwatching and various recreational activities. However, in recent years urban development have limited the area significantly.
- Carl Alstrup (1877 in Sundbyvester – 1942) a Danish actor and film director 
- Rakel Helmsdal (born 1966) a Faroese writer and involved in youth theatre
- Martin Henriksen (born 1980) a Danish politician and former MP
- Peter Hummelgaard Thomsen (born 1983) a Danish politician and Minister of Employment since 2019.
- Maria Apetri (born 1985) stage name Fallulah, a Danish singer-songwriter and musician
- Morten Ristorp (born 1986), stage name Rissi, is a Danish-born American producer, composer, songwriter and musician
- Jan Heintze (born 1963) a retired Danish footballer with 564 club caps and 86 for Denmark
- Angelina Jensen (born 1973) a Danish curler
- Niki Zimling (born 1985) a retired Danish footballer with over 250 club caps and 24 for Denmark and currently the sporting director of Kolding IF
- Mads Glæsner (born 1988) a Danish freestyle swimmer, participated at the 2008 and 2012 Summer Olympics
- "Tårnby Kommune - forhistorie" (in Danish). Den Store Danske. Retrieved 2 December 2019.
- da:Tidslinje for Danmarks historie
- Tårnby Kommune historie (danish)
- IMDb Database retrieved 31 July 2020
Media related to Tårnby at Wikimedia Commons