Final logo (2013-2015)
|Launched||August 31, 2007|
|Owned by||Corus Entertainment|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)
|Replaced by||La chaîne Disney|
|Sister channel(s)||Teletoon Retro
Cartoon Network (Canada)
Télétoon Rétro was a Canadian French-language Category B specialty channel owned by Corus Entertainment. The channel was based on the former Télétoon programming block Télétoon Retro and was dedicated to broadcasting French-dubbed animated series that had commenced production at least 10 years prior to their exhibition. Along with Teletoon Retro, it was available in over 9 million Canadian households as of 2013; together they had the most subscribers among the digital Canadian specialty channels.
Télétoon Rétro was initially a programming block on Télétoon. In October 2005, Teletoon Canada was granted approval by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to launch "TELETOON Retro", described at the time as "a national, French-language Category 2 specialty programming undertaking devoted to classic animation and classic animation-related programs from Canada and around the world, including animated movies, specials, series and shorts, all of which commenced production at least ten years prior to their exhibition".
On March 4, 2013, Corus Entertainment announced that it would acquire Astral Media's 50% ownership interest in Teletoon Canada (owner of Teletoon, Télétoon, Teletoon Retro, Télétoon Rétro, and Cartoon Network). The purchase was in relation to Bell Media's pending takeover of Astral (which had earlier been rejected by the CRTC in October 2012, but was restructured to allow the sale of certain Astral Media properties in order to allow the purchase to clear regulatory hurdles). Corus's purchase was cleared by the Competition Bureau two weeks later on March 18; on December 20, 2013, the CRTC approved Corus's full ownership of Teletoon Canada and it was purchased by Corus on January 1, 2014. The channel continues to be owned by Teletoon Canada, now wholly owned by Corus Entertainment under its Corus Kids and Corus Média divisions.
Télétoon Rétro HD
- "TELETOON Canada Inc. | TELETOON Retro Now Nine Million Subscribers Strong". Newswire.ca. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2005-510 CRTC October 21, 2005
- FRENCH-LANGUAGE TELETOON RETRO TO LAUNCH WITH BROADVIEW BroadView Software press release September 4, 2008
- BCE to sell assets to Corus as part of Astral deal, The Globe and Mail (via Reuters and The Canadian Press), March 4, 2013.
- The Canadian Press (uncredited staff) (March 18, 2013). "Competition Bureau clears Corus acquisition of Astral assets". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved July 5, 2013.
- Vessing, Etan (December 20, 2013). "Corus/Teletoon Deal Approved by CRTC". Kidscreen. Brunico Communications. Retrieved December 21, 2013.
- "Press Release - Corus Entertainment Receives CRTC Approval on TELETOON Canada Inc., Historia and Séries+ Acquisitions". Corusent.com. Retrieved December 22, 2013.
- "Press Release - Corus Entertainment Completes Purchase of Historia, Séries+ and TELETOON Canada Inc". Corusent.com. January 1, 2014. Retrieved January 8, 2014.
- "Ownership Chart 32b" (PDF). Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- Jeremy Dickson (February 10, 2014). "Corus unveils Teletoon integration plan". Kidscreen. Retrieved May 21, 2014.
- "Corus trading Télétoon Rétro for La chaîne Disney". Cartt.ca. Retrieved August 13, 2015.(subscription required)