This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)
|Location||13–46 Gojō-chō, Nara, Nara Prefecture|
Tōshōdai-ji (唐招提寺) is a Buddhist temple of the Risshū sect in the city of Nara, in Nara Prefecture, Japan. The Classic Golden Hall, also known as the kondō, has a single story, hipped tiled roof with a seven bay wide facade. It is considered the archetype of "classical style".
It was founded in 759 by the Tang dynasty Chinese monk Jianzhen during the Nara period. Jianzhen was hired by the newly empowered clans to travel in search of funding from private aristocrats as well.
Tōshōdai-ji is one of the places in Nara that UNESCO has designated as World Heritage Site "Historic Monuments of Ancient Nara".
A reflection written by Yan Wenjing on the hope for friendly Sino-Japanese relations describing the author's discovery of lotus flowers imported from China which had been planted around the portrait of Jianzhen in the Tōshōdai-ji is included as one of the oral assessment passages on the Putonghua Proficiency Test.
- Golden Hall – National Treasure of Japan, built in the Nara period (710 to 794).
- Korō – National Treasure of Japan, rebuilt in 1240.
- Kōdō (Lecture Hall) – National Treasure of Japan, built in the Nara period.
- Hōzō (Treasure House) – National Treasure of Japan, built in the Nara period.
- Kyōzō (Sutra Storehouse) – National Treasure of Japan, built in the Nara period.
- Mieidō – Important Cultural Property.
- Raidō – Important Cultural Property.
- Shinden – Important Cultural Property.
- Glossary of Japanese Buddhism
- List of National Treasures of Japan (crafts-others)
- List of National Treasures of Japan (sculptures)
- List of National Treasures of Japan (temples)
- Tourism in Japan
- ^ 普通话水平测试实施纲要. Putonghua Shuiping Ceshi Gangyao (in Japanese). 北京. Beijing: 商务印书馆. The Commercial Press. 2004. pp. 380–381. ISBN 7-100-03996-7.
Coordinates: 34°40′32.11″N 135°47′5.40″E / 34.6755861°N 135.7848333°E
- Buddhist temples in Nara, Nara
- Religious organizations established in the 8th century
- World Heritage Sites in Japan
- National Treasures of Japan
- Historic Sites of Japan
- 8th-century establishments in Japan
- Religious buildings and structures completed in 759
- 8th-century Buddhist temples
- Buddhist temple stubs
- Japanese religious building and structure stubs