T. Alan Broughton
|T. Alan Broughton|
June 9, 1936|
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania US
|Died||May 17, 2013
Thomas Alan Broughton (June 9, 1936 – May 17, 2013) was an American poet and amateur pianist.
From 1966 until 2001 Broughton taught writing at the University of Vermont. He has attended Harvard University, Philips Exeter Academy, and the Juilliard School of Music. He received degrees from Swarthmore College (B.A.) and the University of Washington (M.A., English literature).
Broughton received numerous awards and fellowships, including a Guggenheim, an NEH Fellowship, and was elected a Fellow of the Vermont Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2012. He served as a cultural representative in southeast Asia, Egypt, and Italy under the auspices of the United States Information Agency. Broughton was married first to Lenore Follansbee Broughton and then to Laurel Broughton.
- "The Skin and All" 1972.
- In the Face of Descent', a poetry book published in 1975 by Carnegie Mellon University Press, ISBN 0-915604-02-7.
- A Family Gathering, a novel published in 1977 by Dutton and Fawcett.
- Far From Home, a poetry book published in 1979 by Carnegie Mellon University Press, ISBN 0-915604-25-6.
- Winter Journey, a novel published in 1980 by Dutton and Fawcett.
- The Horsemaster, a novel published in 1981 by Dutton.
- Dreams Before Sleep, a poetry book published in 1982 by Carnegie Mellon University Press, ISBN 0-915604-69-8
- Hob's Daughter, a novel published in 1984 by Morrow.
- Preparing to be Happy, a poetry book published in 1988 by Carnegie Mellon University Press.
- In the Country of Elegies, a poetry book published in 1995 by Carnegie Mellon University Press, ISBN 0-88748-198-1
- The Origin of Green, a book of poetry published in 2001 by Carnegie Mellon University Press, ISBN 0-88748-338-0.
- Suicidal Tendencies, a collection of short stories published in 2003 by University Press of Colorado, ISBN 1-885635-05-2.
- Rae Armantrout; John Ashbery; et al. (2002). The Best American Poetry 2002. Scribner Poetry. ISBN 0-7432-0386-0.
- "Professor Emeritus T. Alan Broughton Dies at Age 76" University of Vermont 05-21-2013
- "Obituary: T. ALAN BROUGHTON." The Burlington Free Press May 19, 2013
- Obituary: T. ALAN BROUGHTON The Burlington Free Press May 19, 2013
- Remembering Poet T. Alan Broughton, 1936-2013 Margot Harrison May 19, 2013
- T. Alan Broughton (1972). The Skin and All. George Little Press.
- Thomas Alan Broughton (1 January 2001). The Origin of Green: Poems. Carnegie Mellon University Press. ISBN 978-0-88748-338-7.