T. J. McDonald
McDonald with the St. Louis Rams in 2014
|No. 22 Miami Dolphins|
|Date of birth:||January 26, 1991|
|Place of birth:||Fresno, California|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||217 lb (98 kg)|
|High school:||Fresno (CA) Edison|
|NFL Draft:||2013 / Round: 3 / Pick: 71|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2016|
Timothy "T. J." McDonald, Jr. (born January 26, 1991) is an American football safety for the Miami Dolphins of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the St. Louis Rams in the third round of the 2013 NFL Draft. He played college football at USC.
McDonald was born in Fresno, California. He attended Edison High School in Fresno, where he played high school football for the Edison Tigers. He was considered the second-best safety recruit in the nation by Rivals.com and Scout.com.
McDonald enrolled in University of Southern California, where he played for the USC Trojans football team from 2009 to 2012. As a freshman in 2009, McDonald was a backup safety and special teamer, recording seven tackles in 13 games. In 2010, he took over as a starter and had a team leading 89 tackles, three interceptions and a quarterback sack. He was a second-team All-Pacific-10 Conference selection. After a successful junior season in 2011, McDonald was highly decorated with awards. He was a first-team All-Pac-12 selection and received first-team All-American honors from Pro Football Weekly and The Sporting News.
As a senior, he enjoyed the best season of his career in 2012, leading the team with 112 tackles, including 6.5 for loss, a sack, and two interceptions, and was named second-team All-Pac-12.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|6 ft 2 in||219 lb||33⅛ in||9¼ in||4.59 s||1.58 s||2.57 s||4.20 s||6.89 s||40 in||10 ft 11 in||19 reps||x|
|All values from NFL Combine|
St. Louis/Los Angeles Rams
The St. Louis Rams chose McDonald in the third round, with the 71st overall pick, of the 2013 NFL Draft. His rookie year was set back slightly when he fractured his right leg in the Week 4 game against the San Francisco 49ers. He was placed on the team's injured reserve with a designation to return on September 27, 2013. He would return to practice on November 21 and was activated the upcoming Sunday in Week 10 win against the Chicago Bears.
On December 9, 2015, the Rams moved him to injured reserve due to a shoulder injury that would require surgery.
On May 10, 2016, McDonald was arrested for DUI and was charged for his DUI on September 15, 2016. In January 2017, he pled guilty for his DUI along with possession of drugs. In the aftermath, McDonald was fined $390, received 36 months of probation, and was ordered to undergo 200 hours of community service in addition to attending a three-month alcohol program along with 18 narcotic anonymous classes.
On March 29, 2017, while a free agent, McDonald was suspended for the first eight games of the 2017 season for violating the league's personal conduct policy, regarding his previous DUI charge, along with a violation of the NFL's Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse.
- Rivals.com bio
- Scout.com bio
- Pac-10 Football Awards And All-Conference Team Announced
- ESPN.com AllPac-12 Team
- PFW 2011 All-American Team
- The Sporting News All American Team
- NFL Combine profile
- NFL Draftscout.com
- Wesseling, Chris (September 26, 2013). "T.J. McDonald fractures leg in Rams' loss to 49ers". NFL.com. Retrieved May 8, 2016.
- Wagoner, Nick (September 27, 2013). "McDonald breaks leg, could return". ESPN.com. Retrieved May 8, 2016.
- Crabtree, Curtis (November 21, 2013). "T.J. McDonald returns to practice for Rams". NBCSports.com. Retrieved May 8, 2016.
- Thomas, Jim (November 24, 2013). "Rams roll to wild 42-21 win over Chicago". StLouisToday.com. Retrieved May 8, 2016.
- Alper, Josh (December 9, 2015). "Rams lose Robert Quinn, T.J. McDonald to season-ending surgeries". NBCSports.com. Retrieved May 8, 2016.
- Patra, Kevin (March 31, 2017). "T.J. McDonald signs one-year deal with Miami Dolphins". NFL.com.
- T.J. McDonald and his dad Tim McDonald, USC safeties present and past, are studies in perseverance
- "Rams safety T.J. McDonald charged with DUI". NFL.com. Retrieved September 16, 2016.
- Wesseling, Chris. "T.J. McDonald suspended eight games of 2017 season". NFL.com. Retrieved March 29, 2017.