T. M. Sabaratnam
T. M. Sabaratnam
த. மு. சபாரத்தினம்
|Member of the Legislative Council of Ceylon|
for Northern Province East
|Political party||All Ceylon Tamil Congress|
|Alma mater||Ceylon Law College|
Thambaiyah Mudaliyar Sabaratnam (Tamil: தம்பையா முதலியார் சபாரத்தினம், romanized: Tampaiyā Mutaliyār Capārattiṉam; died 1970) was a Ceylon Tamil lawyer, politician and member of the Legislative Council of Ceylon.
Early life and family
Sabaratnam studied law at Ceylon Law College and became a proctor of the Supreme Court, practising law in Jaffna. He contested the 1924 legislative council election as a candidate for the Northern Province East (Mullaitivu-Vavuniya-Vadamarachchi) seat and was elected to the Legislative Council of Ceylon unopposed.
Sabaratnam stood as the All Ceylon Tamil Congress (ACTC) candidate for Vavuniya at the 1947 parliamentary election but was defeated by independent candidate C. Suntharalingam. He was defeated by Suntharalingam at the 1956 parliamentary election as well.
|1924 legislative council||Northern Province East||-||Elected|
|1947 parliamentary||Vavuniya||ACTC||2,018||Not elected|
|1952 parliamentary||Vavuniya||ACTC||1,398||Not elected|
- Arumugam, S. (1997). Dictionary of Biography of the Tamils of Ceylon (PDF). pp. 171–172.
- "New Law Reports: Velupillai et al v Pulendra et al (S. C. 462-D. C. Vavuniya, 831)". LawNet.
- Rajasingham, K. T. "Chapter 5: Political polarization on communal lines". Sri Lanka: The Untold Story.
- Sabaratnam, T. T. "Chapter 19: The Birth and Death of the Jaffna Youth Congress". Sri Lankan Tamil Struggle.
- "Result of Parliamentary General Election 1947" (PDF). Election Commission of Sri Lanka.
- "Result of Parliamentary General Election 1952" (PDF). Election Commission of Sri Lanka.
- "Ramakrishna Mission (Ceylon Branch) Ordinance: Article 4 - Board of Management". LawNet.