T. Subbarami Reddy
|T. Subbarami Reddy|
|MP of Rajya Sabha for Andhra Pradesh|
10 April 2014
|Ministry of Mines|
|Member of Parliament - Rajya Sabha|
|Born||17 September 1943
Nellore, Andhra Pradesh, India
|Children||Sandeep Reddy & Pinky Reddy|
|Residence||Film Nagar, Hyderabad, India|
T. Subbarami Reddy (born Tikkavarapu Subbarami Reddy, 17 September 1943) is an Indian industrialist, politician, film producer, and a philanthropist. In 1993 he produced the Sanskrit film Bhagavad Gita, which garnered the National Film Award for Best Feature Film at the 40th National Film Awards.
He is a member of the Indian National Congress. He was Member of the Parliament of India representing Andhra Pradesh in the Rajya Sabha, the upper house of the Indian Parliament and Lok Sabha, the lower house since 1996. He was elected to 11th and 12th Lok Sabha twice in 1996 and 1998 from Visakhapatnam constituency. He was elected as Rajya Sabha member in 2002 and continued in the position for the third term.
He was member of various parliamentary committees. He was also Minister of State in the Ministry of Mines between 2006 and 2008. On 15 June 2012, Reddy lost the election for Nellore constituency to Mekapati Rajamohan Reddy.
He was born to T. Babu Reddy and Rukmini Amma at Nellore, Andhra Pradesh. He did B.Com. from Nizam College, Hyderabad. His uncle, T. Ramana Reddy. He is also related to fimmaker T. Pattabhirama Reddy.
His wife T. Indira Subbarami Reddy is the chairman of Gayatri Projects India Pvt. Ltd, the company founded by him.
He founded the Gayatri holdings and has been in the field of business for the last 35 years involved in the construction activity, sugar industry, chemical industry, State's development.
He received a Gold Medal by the then Prime Minister of India, Indira Gandhi, for his great contribution in the construction of the then world's biggest dam Nagarjuna Sagar Project in Andhra Pradesh in 1967. Reddy was the mud contractor for this dam.
He was Chairman of Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam Board (T.T.D.) since 2004, National Panorama Festival Committee in 1992, National Film Award Jury in 1994 and 1997, Andhra Pradesh Cultural Federation in 1994 and Member of Central Film Censor Board, 1983-85. Also, he says he respects traditions very much.
He has produced a handful of films in Bollywood, Telugu, Sanskrit and Tamil cinema
- Bhagavad Gita (1993)
- Other honors
- Kala Samrat by Maharashtra Government in 1988
- Kala Ratna by Lt. Governor, Delhi in 1989
- Kala tapaswi by Telugu Academy in 1993
- Honorary doctorate by Mangalore University in recognition of social work
- Life Time Achievement Award by American Telugu Association in 2002
- Yuva Ratna Award by TSR Yuvasena Fans Domalaguda.
- Awards in his honor
- T. Subbarami Reddy Award for contribution to Telugu cinema
- "40th National Film Awards". India International Film Festival. Retrieved 2 March 2012.
- "40th National Film Awards (PDF)" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals. Retrieved 2 March 2012.
- "Jagan's YSR Congress wins Nellore Lok Sabha, 14 assembly seats". India TV News. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Board of Directors". Gayatri Projects website. Retrieved 22 April 2014.