T. V. Ramakrishnan
|T. V. Ramakrishnan|
T. V. Ramakrishnan
|Born||Tiruppattur Venkatachalamurti Ramakrishnan
14 August 1941
Madras, Tamil Nadu, India
|Institutions||Banaras Hindu University
Indian Institute of Science
|Alma mater||Banaras Hindu University (B.Sc.) (M.Sc.)
Columbia University (Ph.D.)
|Doctoral advisor||Joaquin Mazdak Luttinger|
|Known for||Contributions to Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics and Statistical Mechanics|
Tiruppattur Venkatachalamurti Ramakrishnan FRS (born 14 August 1941) is an Indian theoretical physicist known for his contributions in condensed matter physics. He is at present DAE Homi Bhabha Professor of Physics at Benaras Hindu University and also the Chancellor of Tripura University. He was awarded the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award in 1983, TWAS Prize in 1990 and the Padma Shri in 2001.
Tiruppattur Venkatachalamurti Ramakrishnan was born on 14 August 1941 in Madras, Tamil Nadu. He completed his B.Sc (Hons.) and M.Sc in Physics from Banaras Hindu University in 1959 and 1961. He then worked as a CSIR Research Fellow at Banaras Hindu University from 1961 to 1962. He later completed his Ph.D. from Columbia University in 1966. He started his professional career as lecturer in the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur. He shifted to the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore in 1986 where he continued till 2003.
Awards and honours
|“||Professor Ramakrishnan has made crucial contributions to our understanding of condensed many body systems. His pioneering work started two major areas of activity. These are: the liquid-solid transition as well as related phenomena in dense classical systems, and the onset of electron localization in disordered systems. He has also made many significant contributions to their growth. In a third area, namely mixed valence in rare-earth metals, his work on the inverse orbital degeneracy expansion has had a major effect on the field ||”|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to T. V. Ramakrishnan.|
- "Prizes and Awards". The World Academy of Sciences. 2016.
- "Bhatnagar Award in Physical Sciences". CSIR. Retrieved 2011-08-21.
- "Padma Awards Directory" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2011-07-05. Retrieved 2011-08-21.
- "Curriculum Vitae of T. V. Ramakrishnan". Retrieved 2011-08-21.
- "Phys. Rev. Lett. 42, 673 (1979): Scaling Theory of Localization: Absence of Quantum Diffusion in Two Dimensions".
- "Tiruppattur Ramakrishnan". London: Royal Society. One or more of the preceding sentences may incorporate text from the royalsociety.org website where "all text published under the heading 'Biography' on Fellow profile pages is available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License." Royal Society Terms, conditions and policies at the Wayback Machine (archived 20 February 2016)
- "EC/2000/30: Ramakrishnan, Tiruppattur Venkatachalamurti". The Royal Society. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
|This article about an Indian scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a physicist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|