TAPP TV - "TAPP" stands for TV APP - is a subscription-based online video content network, home to individual "channels" built around public personalities with large followings. It was founded in 2013 by Jeff Gaspin, former chairman of NBC Universal Television, and Jonathan Klein, former president of CNN US. Michael Greer, former CTO of the Onion, is TAPP's co-founder and CTO.
TAPP TV subscribers pay $9.95 per month or $99.95 per year to receive daily video content from subscribed video channels. Each channel is sold separately.
TAPP TV's investors include Discovery Communications and Demarest Films, as well as individual investors including Eric Schmidt, Executive Chairman of Google, and investment bankers Ken Moelis, Peter Ezersky and Michael Huber. In addition to Gaspin and Klein, the TAPP TV board includes Sean Atkins, senior vice president and general manager, Digital, at Discovery Communications.
In March 2014, Gaspin and Klein announced plans to launch of roster of channels on the TAPP platform in 2014.
TAPP launched its first channel on March 20: New Life TV, featuring Steve Arterburn, an American syndicated radio host with 2 million weekly listeners to his New Life Live program. Arterburn is a Christian counselor, author and motivational speaker, focused on relationships, family and addiction. He is the founder of New Life Ministries and Women of Faith.
Online Subscription Video Industry
TAPP's founders have cited Glenn Beck's Blaze TV, which launched in 2012, as one inspiration for their business model. Reports have put The Blaze's subscriber base at 300,000 people paying $9.95 per month. In December 2013, Chernin Entertainment announced it had taken a majority stake in Crunchyroll, which aggregates online anime videos offered on both a subscription and pay-per-view basis. In February 2014, WWE launched its own subscription video channel, and has announced more than 600,000 monthly subscribers since launch.
- Jarvey, Natalie. "Jeff Gaspin, Jon Klein to Launch Online Video Platform TAPP".
- Wallenstein, Andrew. "CNN, NBCU Alums Jon Klein, Jeff Gaspin Team Up for Online Video Venture".
- "Gaspin & Klein launch ‘TAPP’ – a new subscriber based online video company". Salinger Media.
- Palmeri, Christopher. "Discovery Backing Web-Video Service Along With Schmidt".
- Ross, L.A. "Jeff Gaspin, Jon Klein's New Digital Platform Launching First Channel With Christian Radio Host Steve Arterburn".
- Weprin, Alex. "Sarah Palin plans ‘Rogue TV’".
- Wilstein, Matt. "Sarah Palin’s ‘Rogue TV’ Reportedly Coming to a Computer Near You".
- Abbruzzese, Jason. "A Sarah Palin Channel? You Betcha!".
- Stelter, Brian. "Beck Takes His Conservative Internet Shows to the Dish Network".
- Spangler, Todd. "Chernin Group Takes Majority Stake in Anime Website Crunchyroll".
- Luckerson, Victor. "WWE Online Network Is Already Body-Slamming Tons of Subscribers".