TCI College of Technology
|Type||Two-year Technical College|
|President||George Santiago Jr.|
New York City, NY, USA|
Technical Career Institutes, also known as TCI College, was a private, for-profit college in New York City that offers two year associate degrees and certificates for education in technology, business, engineering, healthcare and other career paths. It was dually accredited from the New York State Board of Regents and by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. TCI’s curricula offered training at the associate degree level taught by more than 190 faculty.
In 2009–2010 TCI had a 24% graduation rate and a 34.9% loan default rate, earning it the title from USA Today news as a "red flag school". It is not uncommon for for-profit colleges to have high rates of student loan default, which prompted a New York City Department of Consumer Affairs investigation in 2015.
On December 31, 2012, TCI was brought under the corporate control of EVCI Career Colleges Holding Corporation.
In May 2016, TCI named Dr. George Santiago, Jr. the new president and CEO.
A 2017 research study "Mobility Report Cards: The Role of Colleges in Intergenerational Mobility" done by Equality of Opportunity project on income mobility rates for low-income students named TCI the fourth top college in the United States for mobility. However additional research studies will need to be completed in order to better understand how and why some schools are performing better than others.
TCI's website states "On September 1, 2017, TCI College closed its doors". According to the New York State Department of Labor, Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) submission the close was based on economic factors.
- Martin A. Armstrong, creator of the Economic Confidence Model
- Iran Darroudi, artist, studied television direction and production.
- Ronny Lee, American guitarist, worked with the Beatles.
- Prince (Omubiito) Solomon Michael Okwiri Adyeri Ishagara (son of Rukidi III of Toro), royalty in the Kingdom of Toro in Uganda.
- "Technical Career Institutes in New York, NY". US News Education. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- "Ex-Briarcliffe College prez gets technical at TCI - Innovate Long Island". Innovate Long Island. 2016-06-30. Retrieved 2017-03-03.
- "Accreditation". www.tcicollege.edu. Retrieved 2016-03-07.
- "Technical Career Institutes". College Navigator. Retrieved 2016-03-07.
- "Technical Career Institutes Profile". Community College Review. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- Marklein, Mary Beth (2013-07-02). "College default rates higher than grad rates". USA Today News. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- Harris, Elizabeth A. (2015-04-02). "New York City Consumer Agency Investigating Four For-Profit Colleges". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- Mckinney, Marie (2017-08-15). "Will EVCI CAREER COLLEGES (EVCI) Run Out of Steam Soon?". Weeklyhub.com. Retrieved 2017-09-06.
- "TCI College Of Technology Names Dr. George Santiago, jr. President and CEO". The Hispanic Outlook in Higher Education Magazine. 2016-06-30. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- Matthews, Dylan (2017-02-28). "These colleges are better than Harvard at making poor kids rich". Vox. Vox Media, Inc. Retrieved 2017-05-17.
- "Mobility Report Cards: The Role of Colleges in Intergenerational Mobility" (PDF). Equality of Opportunity project. 2017. Retrieved 2017-05-17.
- "The Secret Cycle". The New Yorker. Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- http://amirali-web.ir/, AmiraliHosseinkhan |. "Iran Darroudi". Faramazi Gallery. Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- Leventhal, Ronald (Ronny Lee) ASCAP Biographical Dictionary (4th ed.). New York: R.R. Bowker Co. 1980. pp. 297–298. ISBN 0-8352-1283-1.
- "International Perspectives Presented at the Greater New York Conference on Behavioral Research". apa.org. Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- Video: TCI: The First Hundred Years on YouTube