Los Angeles, California, United States
|Products||Fixed Income, Equity, and International Mutual Funds, Strategies, and Alternative Investments|
|Total assets||$202 billion as of 31 March 2018|
|Owner||Company management, Carlyle Group and Nippon Life Insurance Company|
The TCW Group is an asset management firm with a broad range of products across fixed income, equities, emerging markets and alternative investments. With nearly five decades of investment experience, TCW today manages $202 billion in client assets. Through the MetWest Funds, TCW Funds and TCW Alternative Funds families, TCW manages one of the largest mutual fund complexes in the U.S. TCW's clients include many of the world's largest corporate and public pension plans, financial institutions, endowments and foundations, as well as financial advisors and high net worth individuals.
Founded by Robert Addison Day in 1971 and headquartered in Los Angeles, TCW manages a broad range of investment products. The TCW Group was originally known as Trust Company of the West. TCW clients include many of the largest corporate and public pension plans, financial institutions, endowments and foundations in the U.S., as well as foreign investors and high-net-worth individuals.
In February 2013, TCW management and alternative asset manager The Carlyle Group acquired TCW Group from Société Générale. As a result of the transaction, TCW management and employees increased their ownership in the firm to approximately 40% on a fully diluted basis, better aligning interests with clients. Equity for the investment came from two Carlyle investment funds and from TCW management.
In December 2017, Nippon Life Insurance Company, purchased a 25% minority stake in TCW from The Carlyle Group. As a result of the purchase, ownership in TCW, by TCW management and employees, increased to 44%, and Carlyle maintains a 31% interest in the firm.
- "#283 Robert Addison Day". Forbes. Retrieved September 17, 2015.
- The TCW Group, Inc.: About Us
- "Societe Generale banks on TCW to build its reach in alternatives". Pensions & Investments. April 2001.
- "French bank takes a stake in trust company". The New York Times. April 2001.
- The TCW Group, Inc.: Press Release: TCW Completes MetWest Acquisition
- Karin Anderson (May 19, 2015). "How Is TCW Doing?". Morningstar, Inc.
- The TCW Group, InC.: Our Partners
- The TCW Group Inc.: Assets under management
- "TCW.com - David Lippman". www.tcw.com. Retrieved 2016-07-14.