TD Bank Ballpark
|Former names||Somerset Ballpark (1999)|
Commerce Bank Ballpark (2000–2008)
|Location||860 East Main Street|
Bridgewater, NJ 08807
|Public transit||Bridgewater station:|
|Owner||Somerset County Improvement Authority|
|Capacity||6,100; standing-room admission can bring attendance to 8,500.|
|Field size||Left Field: 317 feet (97 m)|
Center Field: 402 feet (123 m)
Right Field: 315 feet (96 m)
|Broke ground||April 28, 1998|
|Opened||June 7, 1999|
|Construction cost||$18 million|
|Architect||SSP Architectural Group|
Clarke Caton Hintz
|General contractor||Epic Construction|
|Somerset Patriots (ALPB/Double-A Northeast) (1999–present)|
New Jersey Pride (MLL) (2002–2003)
New Jersey Fire (PC) (2004)
Sky Blue FC (WPS) (2009 – two games)
TD Bank Ballpark is a 6,100-seat baseball park in Bridgewater, New Jersey that is the home of the Somerset Patriots, a Double-A level Minor League Baseball team in Double-A Northeast. The ballpark hosts 70 Patriots games as well as Patriots playoff games and other high school and corporate events each year.
TD Bank Ballpark is named for TD Bank, N.A., which purchased Commerce Bancorp in 2009. Formerly called Commerce Bank Ballpark, the original naming rights were sold to the institution in July 2000. The ballpark was originally known as Somerset Ballpark. Its first regular season baseball game was held on June 7, 1999. Since its opening, more than 6 million fans had attended games at the stadium.
TD Bank Ballpark is the home of the Somerset County Baseball Tournament and was the home of the Big East Conference Baseball Tournament from 2000-2005. In the off-season, the ballpark has been the site of the Big Apple Circus, most recently in 2016, and other big events. In 2002 and 2003, TD Bank Ballpark was home to the New Jersey Pride of Major League Lacrosse. In 2004, the New Jersey Fire of Pro Cricket played their only season of existence at TD Bank Ballpark.
In 2000, TD Bank Ballpark hosted the Atlantic League All-Star Game, with a crowd of 7,035. The venue also hosted the 2008 Atlantic League All-Star Game on July 16, breaking both the All-Star Game and ballpark attendance records with 8,290 fans.
In 2007 and 2015, the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball granted TD Bank Ballpark the Atlantic League Ballpark of the Year award.
For two consecutive years in 2015 and 2016, TD Bank Ballpark was named Ballpark Digest’s Best Independent Minor League Ballpark in the nation.
The 2017 Atlantic League All-Star Game was held at TD Bank Ballpark on July 12. It was the 20th playing of the All-Star Game with the Freedom Division All-Stars topping the Liberty Division All-Stars by a score of 10-3 in front 8,175 fans. This was the third time that the ballpark hosted the Atlantic League All-Star Game.
TD Bank Ballpark was designed by architectural firms Clarke Caton Hintz and SSP Architectural Group. The ballpark's wine-colored brick and green exposed steel facade and metal roof is designed to evoke the historic character and elements reminiscent of some of the country's older stadiums. The ballpark was honored for its outstanding design with a New Jersey Golden Trowel Grand Design Award.
TD Bank Ballpark includes 6,100 fixed seats and additional lawn seating, by the Patriots' bullpen. Additional options include a series of hospitality suites, the Diamond Club, for company meetings and special catering services, the Party Deck for company outings or other special occasions, and the Ballpark BBQ picnic area that can accommodate a group of 30 to 350 fans. There is also a children's Fun Zone near the lawn seating. Parking is $2 and has remained that way since the existence of the ballpark in June, 1999.
Concessions at TD Bank Ballpark include traditional ballpark fare, health food and gluten-free options. The official hospitality provider is HomePlate Catering & Hospitality. The Patriots Team Store, located at the main gate, is the Somerset Patriots' official merchandise and souvenir store.
TD Bank Ballpark features 3,465 solar panels. The solar panels are expected to produce 1,140,000 kWh annually and supplement 88% of the consumption used at the ballpark. They are located in the ballpark's Red and White parking lots.
Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital has a 10,000 sq ft (930 m2) physical therapy and sports medicine center at TD Bank Ballpark that also serves as the official health care provider of the Somerset Patriots.
In October 2020, a sculpture of Manager Emeritus Sparky Lyle and Chairman Emeritus Steve Kalafer was unveiled in a newly renovated area in front of TD Bank Ballpark and recreates an early picture of a conversation between Kalafer and Lyle. The sculpture was created by world-renowned sculptor Brian Hanlon of Toms River, New Jersey.
TD Bank Ballpark has hosted four major concerts, including traditional pop and jazz musician Tony Bennett, country music artist Willie Nelson, pop music star Jessica Simpson, and a 50's festival including The Teenagers, The Duprees, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Chuck Berry.
Accessibility and transportation
TD Bank Ballpark is accessible by mass transit via the Bridgewater station on the NJ Transit Raritan Valley Line. The station is located just beyond the center field wall and was reconstructed in 1999 in conjunction with the construction of TD Bank Ballpark, and the ballpark's White Lot is used for commuter parking.
The ballpark is accessible by car via I-287 and U.S. Route 22 with connections to I-78, New Jersey Turnpike (I-95), Garden State Parkway and other highways and roads. Parking is available in three on site lots, labeled red, white and blue, where covered parking spaces are provided by the elevated solar panel arrays.
- TD Garden (Boston, Massachusetts)
- TD Bank Sports Center (Hamden, Connecticut)
- TD Ameritrade Park Omaha (Nebraska)
- TD Arena (Charleston, South Carolina)
- "COUNTY OF SOMERSET-TD BANK BALLPARK". SSP Architectural Group. Retrieved July 12, 2017.
- "TD Bank Ballpark, Bridgewater, NJ". Clarke Caton Hintz. Retrieved July 12, 2017.
- "T.D. Bank Ballpark". Epic Construction. Retrieved July 12, 2017.
- Home Becomes TD Bank Ballpark
- "ULI Development Case Studies Somerset Ballpark" (PDF). Urban Land Institute. 2000. Retrieved August 7, 2017.
- "Big Apple Circus Returns to TD Bank Ballpark With the New Jersey Premiere of The Grand Tour". citylimits.org. February 12, 2016. Retrieved July 12, 2017.
- "ATLANTIC LEAGUE ALL-STAR GAME HISTORY". Atlantic League. Retrieved July 12, 2017.
- "TD Bank Ballpark Named Atlantic League Ballpark Of The Year". Asbury Park Press. October 15, 2015. Retrieved August 7, 2017.
- "Best of the Ballparks 2016, Independent Baseball: TD Bank Ballpark". Ballpark Digest.com. June 27, 2016. Retrieved July 12, 2017.
- "Freedom Division Tops Liberty Division in 2017 All-Star Game". Atlantic League. July 12, 2017. Retrieved July 13, 2017.
- "ABOUT TD BANK BALLPARK". Somerset Patriots. Retrieved July 12, 2017.
- "SEATING CHART". Somerset Patriots. Retrieved July 13, 2017.
- "FOOD AND BEVERAGE OPTIONS". Somerset Patriots. Retrieved July 13, 2017.
- "TD Bank Ballpark Bridgewater, New Jersey". Retrieved July 12, 2017.
- "TD Bank Ballpark goes green with solar panels". ballparkdigest.com. May 2, 2013. Retrieved August 7, 2017.
- "Locations & Directions". Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital. August 7, 2017.
- "Patriots unveil Kalafer, Lyle sculpture at TD Bank Ballpark". ballparkdigest.com. October 29, 2020. Retrieved April 12, 2021.
- "COMMUTER PARKING". Somerset Patriots. Retrieved July 13, 2017.
- "Directions". Somerset Patriots. Retrieved July 12, 2017.
- About TD Bank Ball Park
- Ballpark Reviews - TD Bank Ballpark
- Minor League Parks - TD Bank Ballpark
- "TD Bank Ballpark – Clarke Caton Hintz".