Technological Educational Institute of Peloponnese
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Τεχνολογικό Εκπαιδευτικό Ίδρυμα Πελοποννήσου|
|Location||Kalamata, Peloponnese, Greece|
Located in Kalamata, the Technological Educational Institute of Peloponnese (Greek: Τεχνολογικό Εκπαιδευτικό Ίδρυμα Πελοποννήσου; formerly Technological Educational Institute of Kalamata, Τεχνολογικό Εκπαιδευτικό Ίδρυμα Καλαμάτας, TEIKAL) is one of the 15 Technological Educational Institutes in Greece.
History and departments
It was founded by Presidential Decree 94/1988 as an off-campus faculty of the TEI of Patras. The first department of the faculty was the Electrical Engineering Department which started its operation in the spring semester of the academic year 1987-88. In 1989, a further Presidential Decree established the TEI of Kalamata as a separate institution, comprising two schools, further subdivided into departments:
- School of Agricultural Technology
- Department of Crop Production, opened in the spring semester of the academic year 1989-90
- Department of Greenhouse Crops and Floriculture, opened in the fall semester of the academic year 1993-94, renamed in 2009 as the Department of Organic Greenhouse Crops and Floriculture
- School of Management and Economy
- Department of Health and Welfare Unit Management, opened in the spring semester of the academic year 1989-90
- Department of Local Government, opened in the fall semester of the academic year 1993-94
Two new departments were founded in 1999, one in each School:
- The Department of Agricultural Product Technology within the School of Agricultural Technology, which began operating in the fall semester of the academic year 2000-2001
- The Department of Finance and Auditing at the School of Management and Economy, which began operating in the fall semester of the academic year 1999-2000.
Further, in 2004, the TEI of Kalamata established the Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications as an off-campus department at Sparta. In 2009, the School of Health & Welfare Professions opened, comprising the Department of Speech Therapy (opened in 2009) and the Department of Radiation Technology, which will start admitting students from the academic year 2010-2011.
An external evaluation of all academic departments in Greek universities will be conducted by the Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency (HQAA) in the following years.
- List of universities in Greece
- Education in Greece
- Academic grading in Greece
- List of research institutes in Greece
- Technological Educational Institute of Peloponnese - Official website (Greek) (English)
- Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency (HQAA) (Greek) (English)
- "ATHENA" Plan for Higher Education (Greek)
- Greek Research & Technology Network (GRNET) (Greek) (English)
- okeanos (GRNET's cloud service) (Greek) (English)
- synnefo - Open Source Cloud Software (GRNET) (Greek) (English)