The Intuitive Technology and Bio-Architecture School (TIBÁ) is an eco-centre located in the coastal jungle of Brazil (Mata Atlântica), dedicated to demonstrating and teaching sustainable development and 'barefoot' construction techniques. It was founded in 1987 by Rose and Johan Van Lengen, author of the grassroots construction manual 'The Barefoot Architect'. This book has gained popularity worldwide through its advocation and detailed instruction on appropriate technology and natural building techniques for builders, architects and students. The bio-architecture school was established to provide a place in which students can share and learn these techniques hands-on.
The name TIBÁ comes from the Tupi language (Brazilian Amazonian tribe) meaning "A place where many people meet".
Various workshops are held year round in sustainable construction (so called bio-construction), agroforestry, sanitation, communication and education.
Specialist workshops held throughout the year include:
- Bio-Architecture Techniques (Earth Construction, Bamboo Construction, Ferro-concrete, Composting toilets (the "Bason"), Greywater reuse/Biological Filters, Green Roofs)
- Earth Construction Techniques (Adobe, Rammed earth, Wattle and Daub, Cob, Super Adobe, Natural Paints/Pigments, Natural Finishes/Plasters (Earth and Cal-mixtures[clarification needed], Interior and Exterior)
- Bamboo Construction (instructed by Jörg Stamm, master carpenter of the Green School in Bali)
- Agroforestry, as taught by Ernst Götsch (a type of forest gardening technique)
- PANCs (abbreviation of brazilian portuguese plantas alimentícias não convencionais; an academic and popular movement in Brazil, propagating unconventional edible plants)
- Introduction to Permaculture
- Appropriate Technology
- Natural Building
- Ecological Sanitation
- Green Building
- Sustainable Architecture
- Vernacular Architecture
- Sustainable Agriculture
- Forest Gardening
- Forest Farming
- TIBA - Institute of Bio-Architecture and Intuitive Technologies (english) the main centre in Bom Jardim, Rio de Janeiro
- TIBA MAR in Cabo Frio (coastline of Rio de Janeiro)
- Ernst Gotsch
- The Barefoot Architect