Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology
|Location||Patiala, Punjab, India|
Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, informally Thapar University, is an institute deemed to be university that was founded in 1956 by Karam Chand Thapar and is situated in Patiala. It was granted full autonomy and the status of deemed-to-be-university by the University Grants Commission in 1985.
The institute offers undergraduate programmes leading to Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.) degree and postgraduate programmes leading to Master of Engineering (M.E.), Master of Software Engineering, Master of Technology (M.Tech.), Master of Science (M.Sc.), Master of Computer Applications (M.C.A.), Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), and Doctor of Science (D.Sc.) degrees. Students have to take the Jee-main exam to get admission into Thapar University for the undergraduate program and students take the MET exam for admission into graduate/postgraduate programmes.
|General – international|
|QS (Asia) (2018)||210|
|Times (World) (2018)||801-1000|
|Engineering – India|
|India Today (2017)||10|
|Outlook India (2017)||19|
Thapar University was ranked 801-1000 in the world by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings of 2018. The QS World University Rankings of 2018 ranked it 210 in Asia. In India, the university ranked 10th among engineering colleges by India Today in 2017, 19 by Outlook India in 2017 and 26 by the National Institutional Ranking Framework in 2017.
The campus is housed in a 250 acre land in the heart of Patiala and has six old academic blocks, namely A, B, C, D, E, F and a recently constructed TAN block. The old building of Thapar Polytechnic College has been converted into an academic block named G.
2018 will see the inauguration of 3 new buildings a lecture hall complex, computer block and a new library. These structure were designed by McCullough Mulvin Architects of Ireland.
College societies and chapters
The college has a variety of Technical as well as nontechnical societies. A few of them are:
- Thapar Codechef Chapter
- Computer Society of India
- Fine Arts and Photography Society
- LEAD Society
- Thapar IIChE (Indian Institute Of Chemical Engineers)
- Thapar AIChE (American Institute Of Chemical Engineers)
- Literary Society
- Thapar MUN (Model United Nations)
- Scientist's Spiritual Alliance
- Creative Computing Society
- Microsoft Student Chapter
- Linux User Group
The university has several playgrounds and well-maintained athletic track to encourage the students to take part in different games such as cricket, hockey, table tennis, football, basketball, volleyball, lawn tennis, badminton, chess and athletics.
The university has also a gymnasium-cum-badminton hall and a swimming pool complex equipped with all modern facilities.
It is mandatory for all the students of the university to get themselves registered in any one of the following activities in each semester
- Any one of the games
- Physical exercises
Thapar University plans to set up two campuses over the next five years: one on a 14-acre (57,000 m2) campus near Chandigarh and another in Chhattisgarh. It plans to offer courses in management and engineering at its proposed Chandigarh campus and will invest around Rs 30-35 crore. The existing 250-acre (1.0 km2) campus in Patiala has a student strength of 4,600 and can accommodate around 6,000 students.
- Anoop Kumar Mittal Chairman-cum-Managing Director of National Buildings Construction Corporation Limited
- Deepak Vinayak, Community Leader, Melbourne, Australia
- "QS Asian University Rankings 2018". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2017. Retrieved 12 November 2017.
- "Top 1000 World University Rankings 2018". The Times Higher Education. 2017. Retrieved 12 April 2017.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2017 (Engineering)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2017.
- "India's Best Colleges 2017: Engineering". India Today. 2017. Retrieved 17 May 2017.
- "Top 100 Engineering Colleges In 2017". Outlook India. 5 June 2017. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- "Hostels". www.thapar.edu. Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology University. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- "Avantha group to invest Rs 100 crore in education sector". Indian Express. 2008-10-08. Retrieved 2013-12-26.