|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (March 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Broadcast area||Doncaster, South Yorkshire.|
|Slogan||"Today's More Choice Radio"|
|Frequency||95.3 FM MHz (87.9 used in 2005)|
|First air date||July 2005 (1st RSL), 14 December 2009 (full time)|
|Format||Multi-Genre and Speech|
|Owner||Independent Community Radio|
|Website||TMCR new website!|
TMCR was set up as a Restricted Service Licence or 'trial station' to see how it would be received by the communities of Thorne and Moorends. Supported by Doncaster Metropolitan Borough Council, and with financial backing through the Neighbourhood Renewal Fund, a four-week period on-air was run from a studio in Thorne. Since starting full-time broadcast, TMCR has become a thriving community radio station going from strength to strength.
TMCR was launched with a 28-day trial broadcast in the summer of 2005 on 87.9 FM. The opening was performed by Ed Miliband MP in his capacity as member for Doncaster North. Preparations were being made to start full-time broadcasts from October 2009 with the main launch date pencilled in as 16 November with a frequency of 95.3 FM. Due to funding issues, this date had to be postponed. A new launch date of Monday 14 December 2009 was decided upon, broadcasts commenced at 9.53 am. Test transmissions were heard on 95.3 FM from 27 November.
In 2005 a temporary studio/office was set up in Thorne town centre. This was used for the short-term broadcast in the summer of that year, then the group moved to their present office in early 2007. Whilst the licence application was being prepared, submitted and achieved, some training sessions were held with local people and students of the Trinity Academy. Due mainly to lack of funding, the studio had been unavailable for long periods of time as much of the work was being done away from the office.
Building to licence application
An application for a full 5-year licence was submitted to Ofcom in June 2007. On 20 December 2007 an announcement was made by OfCom that TMCR was to be offered a five-year community radio licence
In January 2008, the committee registered the group as a company limited by guarantee, TMCRFM Limited no. 6471394, in preparation for the future expansion of the group and the service it will offer. Funding applications made in 2009 were intended to have the station return to the airwaves in October 2009 on a full-time basis. This was deferred to 14 December after last minute funding issues.
The transmitter site has been determined as SE685134, which gives coverage to Thorne, Moorends, Fishlake, Stainforth, Dunscroft, Hatfield and parts of several other local communities. Clearance of 95.3 as the broadcast frequency has been made by OfCom.
Members of the team are appearing at events in the area, such as the annual Thorne Festival and various shows. The station has the remit to promote all local opportunities, events and services that are provided for the benefit of station listeners. This involves working with other community groups in collating information and making on-air announcements.
TMCR have provided PA at many local events during the summer months, appearing at the Thorne Festival, Thorne Regatta, Community As One day, Doncaster Disabled Games, as well as various Sunday afternoons on the bandstand in Thorne Memorial Park.
'Today's More Choice Radio' as TMCR is now known; is very active in the North East of Doncaster and will be here for a long time to come serving the community.
Shows run all week from 7 am until 9 pm. You will be updated about the weather, news, travel, and community news. Music is played throughout the night as well by Sandy the Jukebox. A full listing of the shows and the schedule can be seen on the TMCR website.
The TMCR team
- Peter Lee (Station Mangager)
- Mick Finley (Chairman)
- Malcolm Ley
- Ian Roberts
- Ian James
- Ryan Keeling
- Kim B Lee
- Steve Dinsdale
- Steve Hanks
- Dennis Hartley
- Gary Kelly
- Mick Hedley
- Sally Teanby
- Paul Barrass
- Nancy Ann Lee
- Gordon Sharpe
- Robert (Bob) Ashton
- Sue Mundin
- Kieth Fox
- Ian Gilligan
- Duncan Hedley
- Craig Headley
- Claire Hedley
- Jane Lloyd (Secretary)
- Brian Fill
- Lucy Doxey
- Joshua Bull (Sales/Advertising)
- Kirsten Martin
- Michael Tiller (IT Support)
- Kirsty Bradbury
- Adrian Slack
- Licence application, archived from the original on 5 June 2011. Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- "Applications for community radio licences 2007 - West and South Yorkshire, and East Riding of Yorkshire". Ofcom. Archived from the original on 11 November 2007. Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- "Ofcom awards six new community radio licences". Ofcom. 20 December 2007. Archived from the original on 23 January 2008. Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- TMCR FM - Today's More Choice Radio
- TMCR FM - Today's More Choice Radio Official website.
- doncastercsep.org.uk - Funding details.
- thorne-moorends.gov.uk Council website (details on funding).
- OfCom Governing body for radio in the UK.
- Thorne Times TMCR - The more choice radio station
- Thorne Today What did you think of Community Radio
- Thorne Gazette The Mayor drops in with a donation.
- Thorne Gazette Radio station is on the air soon (5 November 2009)
- National Lottery gives grant National Lottery press release
- OfCom, Community Radio Fund TMCR make successful bid for OfCom grant, July 2010.
- Thorne Today Funds flood in for Community Radio Station
- Thorne Today Council is amped up