|Launched||October 3, 1998|
|Owned by||Viacom International Media Networks Northern Europe|
|Picture format||16:9 576i (SDTV)|
|Sister channel(s)||Comedy Central
(channel space shared with Comedy Central)
|Telenet Digital TV||Channel 36 (Flanders)
Channel 126 (Brussels)
|Telenet||Check your local listings at zenders.be|
|Belgacom TV||Channel 160 (Flanders)
Channel 187 (Brussels & Wallonia)
|Yelo TV||Watch Live|
|TV Overal||Watch Live|
TMF is a Flemish (Dutch spoken) television station operating from Antwerp, Zaventem (sales) and Stockholm (broadcast) which mainly shows popmusic videoclips. TMF is an abbreviation of "The Music Factory". TMF is operated by Viacom International Media Networks.
It started as TMF Vlaanderen in 1998, mainly due to the success of the eponymous Dutch music television channel. The station began broadcasting on October 3, 1998. TMF Flanders is owned by MTV Networks Benelux.
On May 1, 1995 TMF Nederland was started and was thus in Netherlands the first video channel. The station was initially not successful but that changed very quickly.
By successfully TMF Flanders on October 3 1998 launched. TMF Flanders was the first Flemish channels that broadcast video clips. VJs of the first hour included Stijn Smets, Yasmine, Inge Moerenhout and Katja Retsin. The broadcasts of TMF Flanders were recorded in the early years in the same building as TMF Nederland.
On 22 October 1999, the first were TMF Awards in Flanders held following the Dutch TMF Awards. TMF had in the early years, the number 9 called TMF, that was because in the Netherlands preference was to put TMF on channel 9. In 2002, the TMF shares were acquired by MTV Networks and disappeared 9 from the logo. 2002 a British TMF was also launched. In late October 2009, it was replaced by VIVA, a similar music channel in Germany which is owned since 2004 by MTV Networks.
From 1 April 2003 to 15 February 2004 there was Nickelodeon on TMF between 6am and 11pm. Nickelodeon is a kids channel with series such as SpongeBob SquarePants. There was then a Belgian legislation banning TV channels for five minutes before and after a children's program to broadcast advertising, so the transmitter sent video clips between programs. On February 16, 2004 Nickelodeon moved to the channel of MTV Europe and was sharing a channel with MTV Flanders. In the early years this was still the Dutch MTV and Nickelodeon but that has evolved over the years into a Flemish MTV and Nickelodeon.
On March 30, 2007, MTV was completely renovated and the original TMF letters were put into a red sphere with a white border. For the rest, most programs were provided with a new look and sends it since the successful series of South Park from.
In November 2007, a TMF in Australia was launched. In November 2010, TMF has been replaced by MTV Hits Australia.
On Tuesday, 4 December 2007, the channel "MTV Live HD" was launched and that was a first in Europe for the first time could see a youth music channel in 'high definition' quality. There is footage of the TMF Awards, TMF Cafes, MTV Unplugged sessions, VH1 Storytellers concerts and the MTV Europe Music Awards broadcast. TMF Live HD was seen in the HD Plus package indi. In February 2009 came MTVNHD to Flanders and this station was the station TMF Live HD put. Eventually, on April 1, 2009 the program back this time exclusively in the basic offering of Belgacom TV. On 31 July 2010, the last broadcast of TMF Live HD was stopped and the channel exist.
Since Wednesday, December 22, 2010, they send as MTV Flanders in programs in 16:9 format.
On November 4, 2010 it was announced that the Dutch TMF cable will disappear and only have digital TV will be. Since 1 January 2011 TMF was still only to see 6 to 15 hours. Since April 3, 2011 at 3pm broadcasts stopped via cable. TMF was still only see on the Internet, but again 24 to 24 hours. Continued to broadcast digital channels. On August 2, 2011 it was announced that TMF will stop on 1 September, including all digital channels. TMF Flanders have been no influence. The only thing that changes is that TMF Dance no longer be seen in Flanders, the station had been since February 2011 stopped at Telenet, a little later followed other digital operators.
On October 3, 2011, exactly 13 years after the start of the channel, TMF again underwent a renovation. Hereby the entire production team was put on the door and moved to Scandinavia. The direct consequence is that there are only a limited number of local (presented) programs will be created, which also cuts in the screen faces. Since April 2012 no programs are more hosted by VJs. The mobile network TMF Mobile will end in May 2012 put stop after 5 years. In June 2013, TMF had a market share of 1.4% that the station remains stable.
Since 2011 the channel profiles itself as an interactive music channel, relying heavily on onscreen chat (Photochat, TMF Interactive) and vote programs (Get The Clip, What's Next).
In 2012 it dropped all presented programming; since then there are no more VJ's on the channel (with the exception of the Wereldhit series)
- This leaves popular inhouse music programs such as Dag Top 5 (Daily Top 5) and Ultratop 50 without a presenter; just a voice-over (done by Stijn Smets) stating the numbers and the countdown range.
- Later in 2012 TMF started airing the presented show GameTown (games) and in 2013 Invade (movies, games, gadgets) started, both made by Bizz-e Entertainment.
End of November 2013, TMF has hit the headlines since the program 'Hot or Not' cyberbullying would invite. Thereupon TMF decided that it is no longer possible to add comments. In late January, the program would disappear entirely from the pipe.
On 20 January 2014, Comedy Central was launched in Flanders and started as a programming block on the channel; airing daily between 10 pm and midnight. The broadcasting hours of TMF were reduced so that Comedy Central every evening between 22 and 24 hours on the channel TMF could emit. Preliminary Belgium thus remains the last country where TMF is still active.
Stijn Smets is the only presenter to see since the beginning of the channel. Other VJs are Sofie Engelen (since 2006), Lynn Pelgroms (since 2007), Jo Hens (since 2010) and Joëlle-Chloe Edelman (since 2011).
"VJs" who already disappeared now from the screen are: Yasmine (1998-2000), Inge Moerenhout (1998-2000), Katja Retsin (1998-2002), Roos Van Acker (1999-2001), Gene Thomas (1999-2001), Evi Hanssen (2001-2003), Elke Vanelderen (2001-2003), Caren Meynen (2001-2008), Saartje Vandendriessche (2002-2003), Karoline Kamosi (2003-2004), An Lemmens (2003-2007), Michael Lecocq (2004-2007), Chantal De Smedt (2004-2006), Anke Buckinx (2004-2006), Sean D'Hondt (2005-2009), Olivier Coumans (2003-2010), Wendy Huyghe (2006-2010), Astrid Demeure (2008-2011) and Lotte Caers (2009-2011).
Also Werner Desmedt, Koen Schepens, Mathias Coppens (2000), Dieter Coppens (2000), Jeroen VandenBosch (2001-2003), Bart Maegh (2001-2003), Frank Molnar (2004-2008), Jeroen De Pauw (2007, 2008, 2009), Murielle Scherre (2008), Richard 'Skate The Great' Simon (2008-2009), Fatty K (2008), Otto-Jan Ham (2008-2010) and Astrid Roelants (2009) presented their own program on TMF.
List of VJ's
- An Lemmens (2003-2007)
- Anke Buckinx (2004-2006)
- Astrid Demeure (2008-2011)
- Caren Meynen (2001-2008)
- Chantal Desmedt (2004-2006)
- Dieter Coppens (2000)
- Elke Vanelderen (2000-2003)
- Evi Hanssen (2001-2003)
- Fatty K (2008)
- Frank Molnar (2004-2008)
- Gene Thomas (1999-2001)
- Inge Moerenhout (1998-2001)
- Jeroen De Pauw (2007, 2008, 2009)
- Jeroen VandenBosch (2001-2003)
- Jo Hens (2010-2012, 2013)
- Joëlle-Chloë Edelman (2011)
- Karoline Kamosi (2003-2004)
- Katja Retsin (1998-2002)
- Leki (2003-2004)
- Lotte Caers (2009-2011
- Lynn Pelgroms (2007-2012)
- Mathias Coppens (2000)
- Michael Lecocq (2004-2007)
- Murielle Scherre (2008)
- Olivier Coumans (2002-2010)
- Otto-Jan Ham (2008-2010)
- Richard 'Skate The Great' Simon (2008-2009)
- Roos Van Acker (1999-2001)
- Saartje Vandendriessche (2000-2003)
- Sean d'Hondt (2005-2009)
- Sofie Engelen (2006-2011, 2013)
- Stijn Smets (1998-2011)
- Wendy Huyghe (2006-2009)
- Yasmine (1998-2000)
- Dag Top 5
- Euro Top 20
- Get The Clip
- Get The Clip Special
- Happy Hour Chat
- Hot or Not
- Hot Tunes Belgian
- Ke$ha: My Crazy Beautiful Life
- Kill The Clip
- Photo Chat
- Remember This
- Spankin' New Videos
- Teen Cribs
- Top 15
- TMF Interactive
- TMF Startweets
- TMF Vibes
- Ultratop 50
- Wereldhit (met vj sofie en jo)
A small selection from the archives of TMF:
- 30 Minutes
- Al Frisco (alternating VJ Caren & VJ An)
- An Tour (with VJ An)
- Boiling Points
- Boobietrap (with VJ Elke & vj Evi)
- Camping Tropical met (with VJ Sofie & VJ Astrid)
- Clip Top 30 (with VJ Inge)
- Club Hoppin' (with VJ Koen & VJ Werner)
- Comité P (with VJ Wendy & VJ Sofie)
- CoolSweat met (with VJ Moog, later VJ Lynn)
- Coppens en Coppens (with VJ Mathias & Dieter Coppens)
- De Afrekening
- DJ @ Home (met vj Wendy)
- Double Trouble (with VJ Caren & VJ Ann)
- Dr. Love (with VJ Lynn)
- Eat This! (with VJ Sofie & Jeroen De Pauw)
- Essential 80's & 90's
- Essential Alternative
- Essential Rock
- Essentieel Belgisch
- Fashion Rox (with VJ Wendy)
- F*cked Up
- F*ckin' Favourites
- Garden Party (with VJ Olli)
- GunkTv (with Frank Molnar)
- Hot Tunes Alternative
- Hot Tunes Rock
- Hot Tunes Urban
- Hitzone met Jo Hens en Joëlle-Chloë Edelman
- Interactive Video
- Katja's Mailbox (with VJ Katja)
- King Of Festivals (with VJ Olli)
- King of Snow (with Otto Jan Ham)
- King Of Surf (with VJ Olli)
- Kitten Academy (with Murielle Scherre)
- Know Your Beat
- Label TV (with VJ Wendy)
- Loveclip (with VJ Yasmine)
- Meet & Greet
- Miss Meynen (with VJ Caren)
- Most Played Top 20
- My First New Car (met vj Olli)
- Nite Guide (with VJ Lynn & VJ s VJ Stijn)
- No Guts, No Glory (with VJ Sofie, VJ Astrid and VJ Jo)
- Olli Breekt Records (met vj Olli)
- Olli Duikt Onder (with VJ Olli)
- Oh My God! (with VJ An & VJ Olli)
- Planet Pop (with VJ Elke)
- Rate The Video
- Rate The VJ (with VJ Olli)
- Re:action (with VJ An & VJ Olli)
- Shout It Out
- Solar Race met Jo Hens
- South Park
- Summer Request (with VJ Astrid)
- Shrimp TV (with Jeroen VandenBosch & Bart Maegh)
- Tattoo Tales (with VJ An)
- Temptation Carwash
- The Crowning II
- The Road Ahead (with VJ Mathias & Dieter Coppens)
- TMF Awards: And The Nominees Are...
- TMF Awards: Nomination Day (with VJ Caren)
- TMF Dance (with VJ Cantal)
- TMF Download Charts
- TMF Gamekings
- TMF Greets
- TMF Late (with VJ Inge)
- TMF Magazine (with VJ Stijn)
- TMF On Stage
- TMF SLCTR
- TMF Update
- TMF Whassup?!
- Top 10
- Ultratip 30 (with VJ Sofie)
- Ultratop Retro (with VJ Caren)
- Very Important Chat
- What The F*ck ?! met (with VJ Sofie & VJ Astrid)
- Yes You Can met Sofie Engelen
- Zoom (with VJ An & VJ Olli)
- TMF Vlaanderen
- Official Facebook page
- Official Twitter page
- Official Netlog page
- Official Vimeo page