2008 TNA World X Cup Tournament
|TNA 2008 World X Cup Tournament|
|Host country||United States|
|Dates||June 19-July 13, 2008|
|Champions||Mexico (1st title)|
The Total Nonstop Action Wrestling (TNA) 2008 World X Cup Tournament was the 3rd World X Cup that was hosted by TNA in the months of June and July 2008. The tournament featured four Teams: Team TNA, Team Mexico, Team Japan, and Team International. The tournament began on the June 19 episode of TNA Impact!, and ended at TNA's July pay-per-view event Victory Road, which was held on July 13.
The tournament revolved around four rounds. A victory in the first round was worth one point, while round two was worth two points, etc. The first round revolved around tag team matches; the second featured singles matches; the third was a Four Way Elimination Tag Team match which pitted each of the teams against each other; and the fourth round featured the captains of each team fighting to retrieve a hanging red X that hung above the ring in a match titled Ultimate X.
- 1 History
- 2 Tournament Instructions
- 3 Background
- 4 Event
- 5 Teams and Members
- 6 Preview Matches
- 7 Results
- 8 Standings
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
TNA has hosted X Cup Tournaments in 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006. The 2003 and 2005 featured Super X Cup Tournaments, where the winners were determined by one-on-one matches. 2004 and 2006 featured Team X Cup Tournaments (America's X Cup/World X Cup), where Teams from around the World competed for their respective countries.
TNA has worked with Border City Wrestling, Asistencia Asesoría y Administración, and New Japan Pro Wrestling for their X Cup Tournaments. In the past, Team USA has represented both the National Wrestling Alliance and Total Nonstop Action Wrestling as its own promotion. Team USA, Team Mexico, and Team Canada have been the most prominent Teams in the past X Cup Tournaments.
The tournament has 4 rounds. In each round if a team or wrestler wins a match, his/their team gets a point, depending in which round the match was won. In each round the points increase. In the first round, when a wrestler or team wins they get one point. In the second round, two points, in the third round, three points, and in the fourth, four points. After the final round, the team with the most point gained over the four rounds is declared the winners and presented with the World X Cup.
The 2008 World X Cup Tournament was announced in February 2008 by Management Director Jim Cornette, after the TNA's pay-per-view event Against All Odds. The tournament had been halted until June, because of hard times finding talent and finding a place to fit in the tournament. It was announced on the June 12 edition of TNA Impact!, that the tournament would begin the next week on the June 19 edition of Impact!. Also announced was the teams in the tournament: The returning Team TNA (The renamed Team USA), the returning Team Mexico, the returning Team Japan, and the debuting Team International (to take the place of Team Canada and Team Britain). Team International consisted of, the Canadian born, Tyson Dux, the British, Doug Williams, the Russian, Alex Koslov, and, the Iranian American captain, Daivari. While Team Japan included, the captain, Milano Collection A.T, Puma, Masato Yoshino, and Naruki Doi. Team TNA consisted of, Captain, Kaz, Alex Shelley, Chris Sabin, and Curry Man. The members on Team Mexico, however were not fully released until the final round of the tournament, held at Victory Road. Where The final two members were announced to be Volador, Jr and Averno. They were added to the already announced members: the captain, Último Guerrero and Rey Bucanero.
Before the tournament began, on the June 12 edition Impact!, TNA had two preview matches to the World X Cup, with part of the participants in the tournament. The first match was between Team TNA's, The Motor City Machine Guns (Sabin and Shelley) (MMG), and Team Japan's, Masato Yoshino and Naruki Doi. After a hard fought battle between the two teams, MMG claimed victory when Shelley pinned Yoshino. The second was between Team TNA's, Curry Man, and Team International's, Koslov. Which Koslov was victorious in.
The tournament officially began on the June 19 edition of iMPACT!, with the first match of Round One, Team TNA's The Motor City Machine Guns (Chris Sabin and Alex Shelley) versus Team International's Tyson Dux and Daivari. The Machine Guns would come out of the match the victors. Because they won the match, the Machine Guns gained a point for Team TNA.
On the June 26 edition of iMPACT!, Team Mexico's Rey Bucanero and Último Guerrero defeated Team Japan's Speed Muscle (Masato Yoshino and Naruki Doi) in the second tournament match. Because of their win, Bucanero and Guerrero earned their team a point.
Teams and Members
- TNA Impact!: June 12, 2008
Round One (Tag Team Matches) - 1 Point
- TNA Impact!: June 19, 2008
- TNA Impact!: June 26, 2008
Round Two (Single Matches) - 2 Points
- TNA Impact!: July 3, 2008
- TNA Impact!: July 10, 2008
Round Three (Elimination Tag) - 3 Points
- Team TNA's (Curry Man, Alex Shelley, and Chris Sabin) defeated Team International's (Alex Koslov, Doug Williams, and Tyson Dux), Team Japan's (Milano Collection A.T., Masato Yoshino, and Puma), and Team Mexico's (Último Guerrero, Rey Bucanero, and Averno) in four team triple elimination Battle Royal
- Alex Shelley defeated Masato Yoshino
- Team Japan gained two points for coming in second, Team International gained one point for coming in third, and Team Mexico gained no points for coming in fourth.
- Alex Shelley defeated Masato Yoshino
Round Four (Ultimate X match) - 4 Points
- Team Mexico's Volador, Jr. defeated Team TNA's Kaz, Team Japan's Naruki Doi and Team International's Daivari in a Ultimate X match
- TNA X Cup Tournaments
- TNA 2003 Super X Cup Tournament
- TNA 2004 America's X Cup Tournament
- TNA 2004 World X Cup Tournament
- TNA 2005 Super X Cup Tournament
- TNA 2006 World X Cup Tournament
- Martin, Adam (2008-02-10). "Jim Cornette announces the return of World X Cup Tournament - full info". WrestleView.com. Retrieved 2008-06-17.
- Martin, Adam (2008-06-10). "TNA Impact Tapings for June 12 (Slammiversary fallout, & more)". WrestleView. Retrieved 2008-06-12.
- "*Spoilers* TNA iMPACT! Tapings Results (Airing June 12th)". LordsofPain. 2008-06-11. Archived from the original on 2008-06-14. Retrieved 2008-06-20.
- "*Spoilers* TNA iMPACT! Tapings Results (Airing June 19th)". LordsofPain.net. 2008-06-11. Retrieved 2008-06-20.
- "Thursday On iMPACT: Lethal vs. Sonjay". Total Nonstop Action Wrestling (TNAWrestling.com). 2008-06-18. Archived from the original on 2008-06-18. Retrieved 2008-06-19.