TOCA World Touring Cars
|TOCA World Touring Cars|
|Platform(s)||PlayStation, Game Boy Advance|
TOCA World Touring Cars (Jarrett & Labonte Stock Car Racing in North America) is a racing video game developed and published by Codemasters for PlayStation and Game Boy Advance. It is the third game in the TOCA series.
It features various Touring Car championships from around the world, but despite carrying the TOCA name, a fully licensed British Touring Car Championship (TOCA) series was not included. This upset a lot of fans of the series, but success continued. The gameplay overall became more "Arcade" and the replacement of qualifying laps with random grid positions together with the omission of penalties for bad driving made the game much more playable for the casual gamer. Curiously, unlike the first two titles in the TOCA series, World Touring Cars was not released in a Microsoft Windows version.
The PlayStation version was a bestseller in the UK, replacing WWF SmackDown! In the media, once again the franchise was compared to the Gran Turismo series, and once again TOCA was warmly received by much of the specialist press, most notably scoring 10 out of 10 in Official UK PlayStation Magazine. The detailed and smooth graphics were of particular praise, and it had "an ideal mix of driving, crashing and career progression". The final issue A-Z described it thus: "Non-stop racing excitement with weeks of tough championship winning. 10/10" (Official UK PlayStation Magazine March 2004, issue 108).
- "Jarrett & Labonte Stock Car Racing for PlayStation". GameRankings. Retrieved 22 August 2015.
- "Jarrett & Labonte Stock Car Racing for PlayStation Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 22 August 2015.
- Edge staff (September 2000). "TOCA World Touring Cars (PS)". Edge (88).
- EGM staff (November 2000). "Jarrett and Labonte Stock Car Racing". Electronic Gaming Monthly.
- McNamara, Andy (January 2001). "Jarrett & Labonte Stock Car Racing". Game Informer (93): 103.
- Vicious Sid (27 November 2000). "Jarrett & Labonte Stock Car Racing Review for PlayStation on GamePro.com". GamePro. Archived from the original on 7 February 2005. Retrieved 22 August 2015.
- MacDonald, Ryan (9 October 2000). "Jarrett and Labonte Stock Car Racing Review". GameSpot. Retrieved 22 August 2015.
- Perry, Douglass C. (17 October 2000). "Jarrett and Labonte Stock Car Racing". IGN. Retrieved 22 August 2015.
- "Jarrett and Labonte Stock Car Racing". Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine. November 2000.
- "TOCA World Touring Cars". Official UK PlayStation Magazine. Future Publishing (62). September 2000.
- "UK PlayStation sales chart". Official UK PlayStation Magazine. Future Publishing (65). December 2000.
- "TOCA World Touring Cars (Preview)". Official UK PlayStation Magazine. Future Publishing (59). June 2000.