TOCA Race Driver 3
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2015)|
|TOCA Race Driver 3|
TOCA Race Driver 3 cover art
|Developer(s)||Codemasters, Robosoft (Mac)|
|Publisher(s)||Codemasters, Feral Interactive (Mac)|
TOCA Race Driver 3 (also known as DTM Race Driver 3 in mainland Europe, V8 Supercars 3 in Australia, and TOCA Race Driver 3 Challenge in the PlayStation Portable version) is the third title of TOCA racing video game series, developed and published by Codemasters, and released in 2006. The game features several fully licensed championships, including the DTM series and V8 Supercar championship. This is the last in the series to have TOCA in its title as following on from this TOCA was dropped in favour of just Race Driver (e.g. Race Driver GRID).
It includes 120 Championships and 35 Types of Racing through the Championship in World Tour, Pro Career, and Free Race. Also it has Bonus Championships in different disciplines. They take place largely in the UK and Germany, though many more tracks are unlocked by winning cups in Pro Career, or by setting a lap time record on a course within Pro Career mode. Open wheel, GT, Oval racing, Rallying and Off-road racing were all featured, and can be raced in either a detailed Pro Career mode or an open-ended World Tour.
Online play allows 12 and 8 players on Xbox and PlayStation 2, respectively. Currently, it is the only racing simulator for PlayStation 2 with an online racing mode. It received good reviews, frequently being compared favorably to Gran Turismo 4 and Forza Motorsport, in the aspects of cars on track, collision and wear damage. Custom tuning of suspension components for handling and gear ratios, and including braking ratio front to rear. A more through tuning setup for a race car was allowable more so then in a driving simulator like Gran Turismo 4, since TOCA Race Driver 3 was a racing simulator.
The game features many real-life competitions, including British GT, DTM, IRL and V8 Supercars, as well as a Vintage series, other GT series, and Rally. The Formula Williams FW27 is the featured car of the Formula 1 series in the game.
The game's single player mode is split into 2 primary modes, "World Tour" and "Pro-Career". In "World Tour", the player progresses through 32 tiers of various disciplines, and the player is coached by a man called "Rick" via the game's cut-scenes (the cut-scenes can be viewed again via the "Extras" menu). "Pro-Career" mode is more detailed, with over 150 cups in which to compete. There is also an online mode in which it is possible to unlock series with the online mode of the game. The game allows, and sometimes requires, pit stops during which cars can get new tires, fuel, and repairs.
Full article: TOCA Touring Car series
Since the series began in 1997 with TOCA Touring Car Championship, the franchise has been released on PC, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 with particular success in Europe and Australia where the motorsports featured are most popular. Since TOCA Race Driver, the fourth title in the series, each new game is released under different titles in different regions, such as Pro Race Driver in the US, DTM Race Driver in Germany, and V8 Supercars in Australia.
TOCA Race Driver 3 features a whole host of circuits from across the globe. Some of the popular circuits among some players include Bathurst and Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, both being very challenging and exciting race tracks, as well as a few classics, such as Silverstone and Castle Combe, both being built in the immediate post-World War II period, and the famous Donington Park track. There are also 4 oval tracks to choose from, with Indianapolis being the most famous of the group.
The player has to progress through different tiers of championships in this mode. It has 32 different tiers and championships. The player is coached by a man called Rick. The player has to defeat many different rivals in this mode. In each tier, players will only need to complete one championship objective to unlock the next tier. However, if they want to unlock the Honda events (in Pro Career and Free Race), they will need to complete all of the championship objectives in all of the tiers.
Pro Career is a mode where a player has to progress through different championships in the game to unlock other championships in this Mode. If a player wins a cup, they then unlock bonus championships to play in Free Race mode only. If the player gets all 177 cups, they unlock all the bonus championships and bonuses.
The game features a host of 70 licensed race cars, most notably the Williams F1 car from the 2005 season (Williams FW27), as well the full DTM, V8 Supercars and IRL grid from their respective 2005 seasons. However, despite the fact that the game does not offer fully licensed teams in some of their competitions, the game does have licensed cars throughout nearly every championship, with cars such as the Subaru Impreza, from the 4WD GT Championship, 4x4 Rallycross and the Honda NSX, from the Japanese Works Car Cup. Some of the cars in the game are imitations of some Formula One teams cars during that season, such as Team Solar's car in the Formula 3 championship looking like Renault F1's 2005 car, and Osbourne Clark's and Chris Hyman's Palmer Audi cars looking like BAR's and Ferrari's 2005 cars, respectively.
TOCA Race Driver 3 has about 35 types of racing and 120 Championships through World Tour and Pro career. In addition there are roughly 10 Bonus Championships in the Classics discipline, 10 Bonus Championships in The GT discipline, 1 Bonus Championship in the Oval discipline, 7 Bonus Championships in the Touring Car discipline, 5 Bonus Championships in the Off-Road Discipline and about 13 Bonus Championships in the Open Wheel discipline. These Bonus Championships will be unlocked if a player wins a cup in the Pro career, Normal or Hard and having a fast time record. The Championships also have available cars to race in.
Reviews of the game range from positive to average. It currently has a score of 85% and 84 out of 100 for both the PC and Xbox versions, 85% and 82 out of 100 for the PlayStation 2 version, and 74% and 76 out of 100 for the PSP version according to GameRankings and Metacritic.
- Edge staff (March 2006). "TOCA Race Driver 3 (PC, PS2, Xbox)". Edge (160): 87.
- EGM staff (March 2006). "TOCA Race Driver 3 (PS2, Xbox)". Electronic Gaming Monthly (201): 102.
- Bramwell, Tom (February 8, 2007). "TOCA Race Driver 3 Challenge". Eurogamer. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- Reed, Kristan (March 2, 2006). "TOCA Race Driver 3 (Xbox)". Eurogamer. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- "TOCA Race Driver 3 (PS2, Xbox)". Game Informer (155): 100. March 2006.
- Ouroboros (March 2006). "ToCA Race Driver 3 (PS2, Xbox)". GamePro: 80. Archived from the original on March 5, 2006. Retrieved August 26, 2015.
- Navarro, Alex (February 24, 2006). "TOCA Race Driver 3 Review (PC, PS2)". GameSpot. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- Navarro, Alex (February 28, 2006). "TOCA Race Driver 3 Review (Xbox)". GameSpot. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- Steinberg, Steve (February 27, 2006). "GameSpy: TOCA Race Driver 3 (PS2, Xbox)". GameSpy. Retrieved August 26, 2015.
- Perry, Douglass C. (February 24, 2006). "TOCA Race Driver 3 (PC)". IGN. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- Perry, Douglass C. (February 14, 2006). "TOCA Race Driver 3 (PS2, Xbox)". IGN. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- "TOCA Race Driver 3". Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine: 90. March 2006.
- "TOCA Race Driver 3". Official Xbox Magazine: 80. March 2006.
- "TOCA Race Driver 3". PC Gamer: 98. April 2006.
- Hill, Jason (February 23, 2006). "V8 Supercars 3 (PC, PS2, Xbox)". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- "TOCA Race Driver 3 for PC". GameRankings. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- "TOCA Race Driver 3 for PlayStation 2". GameRankings. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- "TOCA Race Driver 3 Challenge for PSP". GameRankings. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- "TOCA Race Driver 3 for Xbox". GameRankings. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- "TOCA Race Driver 3 for PC Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- "TOCA Race Driver 3 for PlayStation 2 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- "TOCA Race Driver 3 Challenge (psp: 2007): Reviews". Metacritic. Archived from the original on September 13, 2008. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- "TOCA Race Driver 3 for Xbox Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved August 25, 2015.