TOCA Touring Car Championship
|TOCA Touring Car Championship|
TOCA Touring Car Championship (TOCA Championship Racing in the North American PlayStation and Microsoft Windows versions) is a racing video game developed and published by Codemasters for PlayStation, Microsoft Windows and Game Boy Color. It is the first game in the TOCA series.
TOCA Touring Car Championship is based around the 1997 British Touring Car Championship season, and features the nine tracks and eight works teams from that season. There are three single-player game modes; Championship mode (compete in the entire24-race BTCC season), Single Race and Time Trial. Races in Single Race or Championship mode involve competing against 15 AI drivers, whilst there is also an option for split-screen multiplayer races. Progressing through the championship unlocks bonus content, such as extra cars and tracks. The game features different forms of weather, which can be changed before the start of the race. Selecting a car places the player in the position of the first named driver for each team. That driver's name would then not appear in the race, and the player's name would appear instead. Former Formula 1 driver Tiff Needell provided a voiceover for the game.
The Official UK PlayStation Magazine gave the game 9/10, stating that it was realistic and fun to play, and that "the graphics are fast, detailed and liberally peppered with neat effects, and the sound is among the best to grace a racing sim". The game reached number 3 in the UK charts.
- MacDonald, Ryan (14 August 1998). "TOCA Touring Car Championship Review". GameSpot. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- "TOCA Touring Car". IGN. 30 September 1998. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- Perry, Doug (19 January 1999). "TOCA Championship Racing". IGN. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- "TOCA Touring Car Championship". NowGamer. 1 November 1997. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- Danny (30 November 2014). "Retro Review: TOCA Touring Car Championship". FileTrekker. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- TOCA review, Official UK PlayStation Magazine, Future Publishing, Christmas 1997, issue 27, page 133
- Gallup UK PlayStation sales chart, February 1998, published in Official UK PlayStation Magazine issue 29