This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: the article needs work badly (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
6.1.2 / 14 February 2018
|Written in||ANSI C|
|Type||Distributed resource manager|
|License||Proprietary License (As of June 2018) , OpenPBS version 2.3 (non-free in DFSG), or TORQUE v2.5+ Software License v1.1|
The Terascale Open-source Resource and QUEue Manager (TORQUE) is a distributed resource manager providing control over batch jobs and distributed compute nodes. TORQUE can integrate with the non-commercial Maui Cluster Scheduler or the commercial Moab Workload Manager to improve overall utilization, scheduling and administration on a cluster.
The TORQUE community has extended the original PBS to extend scalability, fault tolerance, and functionality. Contributors include NCSA, OSC, USC, the US DOE, Sandia, PNNL, UB, TeraGrid, and other HPC organizations. As of June 2018, TORQUE is no longer open-source even though previously it was described by its developers as open-source software, using the OpenPBS version 2.3 license and as non-free software by the Debian Free Software Guidelines due to license issues.
TORQUE provides enhancements over standard OpenPBS in the following areas:
- Fault Tolerance
- Additional failure conditions checked/handled
- Node health check script support
- Scheduling Interface
- Extended query interface providing the scheduler with additional and more accurate information
- Extended control interface allowing the scheduler increased control over job behavior and attributes
- Allows the collection of statistics for completed jobs
- Significantly improved server to MOM communication model
- Ability to handle larger clusters (over 15 TF/2,500 processors)
- Ability to handle larger jobs (over 2000 processors)
- Ability to support larger server messages
- Extensive logging additions
- More human readable logging (i.e. no more 'error 15038 on command 42')
- Job scheduler § Batch queuing for HPC clusters
- Beowulf cluster
- Maui Cluster Scheduler
- Open Source Cluster Application Resources (OSCAR)
- Slurm Workload Manager
- Univa Grid Engine
- "Closed Source Software License". Adaptive Computing, Inc. 2018. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- Veridian Information Solutions, Inc. (2000). "OpenPBS (Portable Batch System) v2.3 Software License". Cluster Resources, Inc. Archived from the original on 2011-07-31. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- "Torque resource manager". Cluster Resources, Inc. 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-07-31. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- "The DFSG and Software Licenses - Licenses that are DFSG-incompatible". Debian. 2011-03-27. Archived from the original on 2011-07-31. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- TORQUE resource manager, Garrick Staples, SC '06: Proceedings of the 2006 ACM/IEEE conference on Supercomputing, ISBN 0-7695-2700-0