TRW Low Maintenance Rifle
|TRW Low Maintenance Rifle|
|Type||Full-automatic fire only insurgency assault rifle|
|Place of origin||United States|
|Designer||Donald A. Stoehr (1927-2011)|
|Manufacturer||TRW Systems Group|
|Unit cost||Less than $130 (1971), matching ARPA request.|
|Number built||Less than 10.|
|Weight||Unloaded: 3.30 kg (7.3 lb)
Loaded: 3.64 kg (8.0 lb)
|Length||871 mm (34.3 in)|
|Barrel length||493 mm (19.4 in)|
|Action||Roller locked open bolt
gas-operated long-stroke piston
|Rate of fire||450 RPM Cyclic|
|Muzzle velocity||3,248 ft/s (990 m/s)|
|Effective firing range||460 metres (1,510 ft)|
|Maximum firing range||2,425 metres (7,956 ft)|
|Feed system||20, 30-Round STANAG magazine|
|Sights||Rear: Two-position flip aperture
Front: Adjustable post
The TRW Low Maintenance Rifle or, LMR was an insurgency weapon designed by TRW Inc. (formerly Thompson Ramo Wooldridge) of the United States during the Vietnam War. The intent was to produce an easy-to-use and operate firearm which could be disseminated to insurgent forces supporting the United States' military interests. The firearm utilized the same 5.56×45mm NATO ammunition and STANAG magazines as the M16 rifle. The rifle can also be equipped with the M6 bayonet which is included as the full weapon package along with its M8A1 scabbard.
Development began in 1971, and ceased in 1973 with the weapon never having been fielded.
- FP-45 Liberator/Deer gun - insurgency handguns of similar concept.
- International Ordnance MP2 - another insurgency firearm derived from the Sten.
- Avenger submachine gun - improvised submachine gun made and used by Ulster Loyalists in Northern Ireland during The Troubles.
- FG 42/Sturmgewehr 52 - rifles of similar external design.
- Sterling 7.62 - an "emergency standby weapon" of British origin.
- Knight's Armament Company SR-47 - an assault rifle that was intended to have similarly high reliability as the LMR.
- "The Firearm Blog » .50 BMG Flechette rifle". The Firearm Blog. Retrieved September 22, 2010.
- "The Gun Zone -- A 5.56 X 45mm "Timeline" 1970-1973". The Gun Zone. Retrieved September 22, 2010.
- Sellars, John R (19 Sep 2007). "Some Memories of My Career." (PDF). Aerospace Corporation. p. 17. Archived from the original (PDF) on 5 July 2010. Retrieved May 2013.
- (Jorgensen 2003, p. 13)
- (Dockery 1983, p. 49)
- Dockery, Kevin (1983). The Armory Volume 1: Gunpowder Era Weapons from the Fourteenth Century to the Present. Ann Arbor, Michigan: Firebird Limited.
- Jorgensen, Dana (2003). Big Bang -- The Mostly Illustrated RPG Guide to Firearms: Experimental Weapons. Vol. 3. Alternate Realities Publications.
- TECHNICAL MANUAL - OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE
- Forgotten Weapons - TRW Low Maintenance Rifle
- Modern Firearms - TRW LMR
- The TRW Low-Maintenance Rifle: A cheap response to the AK-47
- Experimental TRW LMR - Low Maintenance Rifle (USA)