|Launched||17 November 1969|
|Network||Radio Televisyen Malaysia|
|Owned by||Malaysian Broadcasting Department
Communication and Arts Malaysia
Radio Televisyen Malaysia (RTM)
|Picture format||(576i, SDTV)|
|Slogan||Saluran Dunia Anda (Your World Channel)
The Golden Channel (Saluran Emas)
Saluran Famili Anda (Your Family Channel)
(August 2004-December 2008)
Dunia Ria (Happy World)
|Headquarters||Angkasapuri, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia|
|Formerly called||Rangkaian Kedua (1969–1990)
|Sister channel(s)||TV1, TVi (Malaysia)|
|Analogue||Normally tuned to 2 on VHF, over UHF in certain parts of the country, Channel 8 on VHF in Kuala Lumpur with a weaker signal in Channel 10 on VHF in certain parts of the Klang Valley|
|MyFreeview (Malaysia)||Channel 102|
|Astro (Malaysia)||Channel 102 (SD)|
|NJOI (Malaysia)||Channel 102 (SD)|
|HyppTV (Malaysia)||Channel 102 (HD)|
|Live Streaming (Malaysia only)||www
TV2 is a free-to-air Malaysian television channel owned and operated by the Radio Television Malaysia, a division of the Malaysian Government. TV2 is now broadcasting 24 hours a day since 3 April 2006.
The broadcasting of RTM TV2 began on 17 November 1969 when Televisyen Malaysia (currently known as TV1) split into two channels. It offers local and international entertainment programs, films and dramas. Some elements such as sex and violence are censored or edited out as RTM is one of the government departments.
Before August 2004, TV2 used to be RTM's only English channel. The former slogan used before August 2004 was "The Golden Channel". In 1994, RTM saw the need for the Malay-market demand and in December 1994, TV2 began broadcasting Malay programming bit by bit when "Berita Tengah Malam" (Midnight News, in Malay), began airing on 27 December 1994 but from the start of 1996, the late news bulletin moved to TV1, leaving only news in English, Mandarin and Tamil to TV2. However, more children's programming in Malay meant for weekends, premiered in 1996, followed by more Malay dramas during primetime (immediately after the English news programme, News On Two), in September 1996, thus saw the return of Malay-language programming to this channel. More Malay programming were introduced even further, especially for drama, children's programmes and variety until RTM restructured all the RTM television stations in 2003, with the English news programme, "News On 1" debuted on TV1 in September that year and all kinds of local programming (drama, documentaries, current affairs and Islamic-related) in Mandarin, English and Tamil, moved to TV1 and more Malay dramas, variety and all kinds of entertainment programming moved to TV2, but the news in Mandarin and Tamil, remained on TV2 and shifted to primetime slots. The restructure was only short lived but certain programming in English remained on TV1 until 2007. In 2004, TV2's slogan was changed from English to Malay, which resulted in a new slogan: "Saluran Famili Anda".
Since 3 April 2006, this channel began to broadcast 24 hours a day, offering more programmes for viewers who stay up late to watch television and its sister channel, TV1 followed suit on 21 August 2012.
TV Pendidikan programmes were aired on Wednesdays and Thursdays through this channel while TV1 aired TV Pendidikan on Mondays and Tuesdays from 1972 to 1987, From 1988 to 1999, all TV Pendidikan programmes were aired only on TV2.
Until 1991, TV2 only sign on in the early evenings, particularly at 4:50pm from Mondays to Thursdays and slightly earlier in the afternoons at 1:50pm from Fridays to Sundays. In 1992, morning broadcast was introduced from Fridays to Sundays. Later in 2000, TV2 is the last channel in Malaysia to launch daytime transmissions by opening at midday except Friday and the weekends, where they startup in the morning. From 2 September 2002, they opened its broadcasts at 9am daily, then signed-on at 6am daily in 2005 and later commenced 24-hour transmissions since April 2006.
TV2 currently broadcasts under (Very High Frequency) band III, although some parts of Malaysia it transmits the signal in UHF where it is normally tuned to band 2. In the Klang Valley the VHF channel for RTM2 is 8, with a weaker transmission on channel 10 in certain parts of the Klang Valley. It is also available over the RTMi test DVB-T transmission over 658mHz [CH44];MHz, SID 2. As of 1 January 2007, it is also available over a test DMB-T/H transmission on Band III. TV2 is also available in neighbouring countries such as, Singapore, Brunei Darussalam, Southern Thailand and Indonesia, as well as some parts of Mindanao in the Philippines via terrestrial spillover but the signal is mostly weaker or stronger and on Singtel TV TV2 is the only free-to-air channel in Malaysia that offers Tamil and Hindi programming for the Indian community in Malaysia. A daily news bulletin in Tamil, Berita Tamil, broadcasts nightly at 7:30pm.
- Berita Tamil (Tamil Seithi)
- 19:30 PM ~ 20:00 PM ( Daily )
- News On 2 (English News)
- 12:30 PM–13:00 PM (Weekdays), 12:30 PM -12:45 PM (Weekends), 20:30 PM–21:00 PM ( Daily )
- Berita Mandarin (Mandarin News)
- 12:00 PM –12:20 PM( Daily ), 20:00 PM -- 20:30 PM ( Daily )
Drama, Telefilem and Cinema Movies
- Best of Retro
- Starsky & Hutch (Wednesday & Thursday, 1AM)
- Chinese/Japanese/Korean Dramas
- "Drama Bersiri Mandarin" (Sundays & Mondays, 7:00PM to 7:30PM)
- "Golden Phoenix" (Mondays to Thursdays, 6:00PM to 7:00PM)
- East of Eden – Monday to Thursday, 11:00AM
- "Kristal" (Mondays to Fridays, 5:00PM to 6:00PM)
- Hollywood Movies in
- "Cinema on 2" (Wednesdays, 12:00MN)
- Saturday Night Special on 2" (Saturdays, 12:00MN)
- "Sunday Day Time Special on 2" (Sundays, 4PM)
- Friday Midnight Movies (Fridays, 12:00MN)
- Hong Kong / Chinese Movies
- "Golden Dragon" (Thursdays, 10:00PM)
- Local Tamil Programmes,
- Tamil Magazine shows 3.30pm - 4.30 pm (Monday to Wednesday)
- Malaysia Tamil Drama 4.30pm (Monday to Wednesday)
- Vasantham (Sundays at 1:00pm)
- Made-for-TV Malay Movies in
- Citra (Fridays, 10PM),
- Mustika (Saturdays, 10AM),
- Sutera (Mondays to Thursdays, 1:30PM)
- Pilihan Jumaat (Fridays, 2:30PM)
- Malay Movies on
- "Teater Lagenda" – Classical Movies (Mondays, 9:00PM)
- "Sinema Ahad" (Sundays, 12:00MN) and
- "Sinema Jumaat" (Fridays, 12:00MN)
- Movies from India on
- "Bollygood Time on 2" – Bollywood Hindi Movies (Weekend, 2:00PM)
- Collar De Esmeraldas (The Emerald Necklace) – Monday to Thursday, 9:30AM and repeats on 4:30AM every Tuesday to Friday.
- What Say You (Mandarin talk show) (Every Sun 11 AM)
- Hello On Two (Every Mon-Thurs 1 PM)
- Vasantham (Every Sun 1 PM)
- Gerak Khas (Malaysian police force-themed drama)
- Mannippu (Local Tamil Series) – every Monday to Thursday, 5:30PM
- Saluran Dunia Anda (Your World Channel) (1969-1989)
- Saluran Emas (The Golden Channel) (1990-2004)
- Saluran Famili Anda (Your Family Channel) (1 August 2004-31 December 2008)
- Dunia Ria (Happy World) (1 January 2009-present)
In 2007, this channel has been criticised for not airing most of the F1 events (only 7 out of the 17 races live, the rest are delayed telecast). Many viewers are upset that RTM is not serious about the coverage and feel that the telecast rights should be given back to private TV stations.
- "MYTV statement on Facebook (Malay)". 13 May 2016. Retrieved 19 May 2016.
- "MYTV Broadcasting Digital TV Trial". 6 June 2016. Retrieved 6 June 2016.
- "Event for 6 June 2017". The EDGE Markets. 6 June 2017. Retrieved 6 June 2017.
- "Channels - TV, Radio dan Prabayar (official list of all channels available on NJOI)".