TVNZ Sport Extra
|TVNZ Sport Extra|
|Picture format||576i 16:9 (SDTV)|
|Formerly called||Colloquially: 'V8's Channel'|
|Sister channel(s)||TV One, TV2, TVNZ 6, TVNZ 7, TVNZ Heartland|
TVNZ Sport Extra was a temporary sports television station in New Zealand, operated by TVNZ. Broadcasting on channel 20 on Freeview, it showed live and delayed free-to-air coverage of selected events. Eric Kearley, TVNZ's Digital Launch Manager, has stated there was no further plans for this channel until the 2008 Summer Olympics.
Sport Extra had originally launched to show the V8 Supercars Series live. TVNZ however lost the rights to this at the end of the 2007 season to TV3.
- ASB Classic & Heineken Open (live, extended coverage)
- Louis Vuitton Pacific Series (live coverage and highlights)
- FA Cup (Semi-final, and final replays and highlights)
- IRB International Rugby Board Junior Cup
- Confederations Cup (New Zealands games and Final replay)
- Wimbledon World Tennis tournaments held in London
The broadcast of TVNZ Sport Extra was terminated on NZST 10:00pm, 1 August 2009 to allow for increased capacity across other TVNZ digital channels, however the 2009 global recession has been blamed for the lack of resources maintained by TVNZ. TVNZ later launched a similar channel, TVNZ Pop-up in 2015.
- "TVNZ bringing V8 Supercars to Freeview" (Press release). TVNZ. Retrieved 16 July 2007.
- "TVNZ Sport Extra brings top international soccer to Freeview" (Press release). TVNZ. Retrieved 16 July 2007.
- "TVNZ brings multiplatform exclusive coverage of the FA Cup" (Press release). TVNZ. Retrieved 9 April 2009.
|This article about a television station is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This New Zealand television-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|