|This article does not cite any references or sources. (November 2014)|
The Official TVOKids Logo
|Country of origin||Canada|
|Format||Children's programming block|
|Running time||6:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. (EST) (Mondays-Fridays)
6:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (EST) (Saturdays and Sundays)
Since its inception in 1994, TVOKids has had numerous hosts. In chronological order, they are:
- Patty Sullivan
- Kevin Brauch
- Joseph Motiki
- Rekha Shah
- Gisèle Corinthios
- Phil McCordic
- Julie Zwillich (aka Julie 1)
- Julie Patterson (aka Julie 2)
- Nicole Stamp
- Milton Barnes
- Mark Sykes
- Jackie English
- Ryan Field
- Kara Harun
- Drew Dafoe
- Dalmar Abuzeid
- Cassius (Cass) Crieghtney
- Melissa Peters
- Daniel Fernandes
The current hosts are Kara Harun, Melissa Peters and Daniel Fernandes.
The Space (formerly known as "The Crawlspace") is the name of the after-school programing block. The space airs non-stop episodes of shows with a host block in between each episode, varying in length. "The Crawlspace" launched on April 1, 1994, and was originally hosted by Patty Sullivan and Kevin Brauch. "The Space" currently airs Monday to Friday, 3:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. EST and on Saturday and Sunday, 6:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. EST. "The Space" is currently hosted by Kara Harun, Melissa Peters, and Daniel Fernandes.
For many years, "The Crawlspace" had a hamster named Tumbleweed, who served as their mascot. Tumbleweed was a real hamster until 2003, when he "left to explore the world" with Phil McCordic. He was replaced by a cartoon.
Gisèle's Big Backyard
|This section requires expansion. (March 2009)|
TVOKids' preschool block, Gisele's Big Backyard (formerly known as "The Nook"), is hosted solely by Gisele Corinthios, where she is often joined by her puppet friends Sticks the Squirrel (Jason Hopley), Jay the Blue Jay (Ali Eisner), Melvin the Skunk (Marty Stelnick), This (Ryan Field), That (Frank Meschkuleit), and Polkaroo. Gisèle's Big Backyard airs Monday to Friday, 6:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m EST.
Polkaroo's trio of "Polka Dot Door Friends" Dumpty and Humpty and Marigold are also on the shoe in smaller-than-human doll size rather than larger-than-human suits. This is their first re-appearance since Polka Dot Shorts ended in 2001.
Some of the programs on TVOKids are produced in-house by TVOntario, and are based on Ontario's educational curriculum. Each program is approximately 3–4 minutes per episode.
- Artbot - Adult artists explain visual art concepts such as line, colour, and composition. The robot Artbot is portrayed by Jackie English.
- The Bod Squad / BOD TV - Spoofs popular television shows and movies, and starring the TVOKids hosts, these short episodes promote healthy eating.
- The Bodies - A series promoting healthy eating using characters who live inside a computer program.
- Critter Corner - Host Jackie English explores the animal kingdom.
- Dino Dig - Paleontologist character Alberta Rex (Jackie English) hosts this informational show on dinosaurs.
- EnviroGirl - A series promoting energy conservation, starring idealistic superhero EnviroGirl (portrayed by Nicole Stamp).
- Mark's Moments - Host Mark Sykes interviews kids with disabilities to learn about their lives.
- The Reading Rangers - A Western-style series promoting literacy.
- The Royals - A queen of hearts and her jester explore good manners and games.
- Space Trek - Explore the solar system and beyond with host Captain Kent (Mark Sykes).
- Super Citizens - A comedic live action show about a group of superheros that promote good citizenship. The Super Citizens are EnviroGirl (Nicole Stamp), Professor Atlas (Milton Barnes), Atomic Guy (Mark Sykes), FlyGirl (Julie Patterson), NiftyGirl (Jackie English), and the Blue Brain (Ryan Field).
- Time Trackers - A series converging the broadcast and web aspects of TVOKids to teach Canadian history in a humorous and interactive way.
- Tumbletown Reads - Tumbleweed works for a newspaper while teaching children writing skills.
- Tumbletown Tales - A series performed by small live rodents (using the TVOKids hosts as voice talent). The star of the series is Tumbleweed the Hamster (voiced by Phil McCordic); the learning objective is real-world application of mathematical concepts.
Shows currently airing as part of TVOKids include:
- Charlie & Lola
- Dino Dan
- Dinosaur Train
- Doggy Day School
- Ella the Elephant
- Finding Stuff Out
- Hi Opie!
- Little Wilfey Bear
- Making Stuff
- Miss BG
- Mister Maker
- Odd Squad
- PAW Patrol
- Peep and the Big Wide World
- Raa Raa the Noisy Lion
- Rob the Robot
- Ruff-Ruff, Tweet & Dave
- Small Potatoes
- Space Racers
- Tati's Hotel
- The Magic School Bus
- The Numtums
- Think Big
- Thomas & Friends
- Tinga Tinga Tales
- Wibbly Pig
- Wild Kratts
- Zerby Derby