This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
TVR Chimaera 500
|Manufacturer||TVR Motor Company|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||2-door convertible|
|Engine||4.0 L Rover V8|
4.3 L Rover V8
4.5 L Rover V8
5.0 L Rover V8 (Chimaera 500 models only)
|Wheelbase||2,286 mm (90.0 in)|
|Length||4,015 mm (158.1 in)|
|Width||1,865 mm (73.4 in)|
|Height||1,215 mm (47.8 in)|
|Curb weight||1,060 kg (2,337 lb)|
The TVR Chimaera is a two-seater convertible sports car manufactured by TVR between 1992 and 2003. The name was derived from Chimera, the monstrous creature of Greek mythology, which was made of the parts of multiple animals.
The Chimaera was intended to be the long distance tourer of the range and as such was longer, more spacious and had slightly softer suspension than its sister car.
- 90 degree aluminium V8
All engines are based on the 3.5 L Rover V8 unit, with increased cylinder capacity.
|Model||Capacity (cc)||Power||Torque||Max speed||0-60 mph (97 km/h) (s)||0-100 mph (160 km/h) (s)|
|4.0||3,950 V8||240 bhp (179 kW; 243 PS)||270 lb⋅ft (366 N⋅m) at 4000 rpm||152 mph (245 km/h)||5.1||12.5|
|4.0 HC||3,950 Hi Compression V8||275 bhp (205 kW; 279 PS)||305 lb⋅ft (414 N⋅m)||158 mph (254 km/h)||4.7||12.1|
|4.3||4,280 V8||280 bhp (209 kW; 284 PS)||305 lb⋅ft (414 N⋅m) at 4000 rpm||158 mph (254 km/h)||4.6||11.3|
|4.5||4,546 V8||285 bhp (213 kW; 289 PS)||310 lb⋅ft (420 N⋅m)||160 mph (260 km/h)||4.7||11.2|
|5.0||4,988 V8||340 bhp (254 kW; 345 PS)||320 lb⋅ft (434 N⋅m)||175 mph (282 km/h)||4.1||10.2|
The suspension consisted of all round independent, unequal-length double wishbones and coil over gas dampers assisted by anti-roll bars. Ground clearance was about 5 inches (130 mm).
The front disc brakes were 260 mm (10 in) diameter and ventilated. The rear disc brakes were 273 mm (10.7 in) mm in diameter. Both sets were servo assisted with front/rear split dual circuits. There was a cable-operated hand brake for the rear wheels.
- Steering was optionally power-assisted and worked via rack and pinion with adjustable steering column.
- There were 2.2 turns lock to lock for the power-assisted steering or 2.5 for unassisted.
- The steering wheel was 350 mm (14 in) in diameter and leather-covered, although other wheels could be specified by the customer. The standard fit was by Personal, in keeping with a majority of TVR models.
- Power assisted steering
- Air conditioning
- Rear speakers
- Six CD autochanger
- Full leather
- Heated Seats
- Wood and Chrome Steering Wheel
- Wool Carpets
- Gold coloured badges
- Seven spoke 'Griffith 500' wheels for smaller engine versions (standard on 5.0)
- 4,988 cc V8 (5.0) initially a factory option on the 4.3 and 4.5 litre models
- "TVR Chimaera specifications". Retrieved 3 February 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to TVR Chimaera.|
- TVR Chimaera Pages - A guide to ownership and maintenance of the TVR Chimaera. Includes a gallery of pictures.
- TVR Chimaera review on Pistonheads
- TVR Chimaera buyer's guide
- TVR Chimaera pictures, specifications etc.
- - TVR Chimaera 500 site, Includes a gallery of pictures & video.
TVR road car timeline, 1956–present
|Owner||Trevor Wilkinson||Martin Lilley||Peter Wheeler||Nikolai Smolenski||Les Edgar|
|2 seat coupé||Coupé||Grantura||Tuscan V6/V8||1600M/2500M/3000M/3000S||Typhon||Sagaris|
|Convertible/Sports car||Open Sports||Trident||1600M/2500M/3000M/3000S||Griffith||Tamora|
|Speciality car/Racing car|