2012 Apache RTR 180
|Engine||177.4 cc (10.83 cu in) Air-cooled, four-stroke cycle, single-cylinder, kick start / electric start Carbureted|
|Transmission||5-gear constant mesh|
|Suspension||Front: Telescopic fork
Rear: Gas assisted dual shock absorber
|Brakes||Front: 270 mm (disc)
Rear: 220 mm (disc)
|Dimensions||L: 2020 mm
W: 730 mm
H: 1100 mm
|Fuel capacity||16 litres|
The TVS Apache is a motorcycle made by TVS Motors since 2006. TVS Apache is available in four variants: Apache RTR 160 Hyper edge, Apache RTR 180, Apache RTR 180 ABS and Apache RTR 200 4V. The "RTR" in the name stands for "Racing Throttle Response". More than 2 million Apaches are on the road.
- Apache E-Surge 150
- Apache RTR 160
- Apache RTR 160 EFI
- Apache RTR 180
- Apache RTR 180 ABS
- Apache RTR 200
Design and styling
The bike evolved from Circa 1999 Suzuki Fiero which TVS used to manufacture in India. It is TVS's R&D on Fiero model with an overbore on 147 cc Fiero Engine.
Comfort and handling
Since the bike is optimized for handling, the ride quality is on the stiff side. Previous versions of Apache had a wheelbase of 1,260 mm (50 inches) which resulted in better turning in at the expense of stability. TVS increased the wheelbase by 40 mm (1.6 inches) to improve the stability. The Apache 180 introduced ABS to the lineup in 2011.
Performance and fuel economy
The Apache RTR 180 ABS has a carbureted 180 cc engine. The engine is of short stroke nature, because of which Apache has higher acceleration figures than other bikes of similar displacement. It does 0–60 km/h in 3.9 seconds and 0–100 km/h in 12.07 seconds. Its top speed is 136 km/h, and it returns 48 km/l (150 mpg (Imperial/UK) or 2.08 l/100 km) on the highway and 40 km/l (110 mpg or 2.5 l/100 km) in city riding.
TVS apache in popular culture
- "TVS Motor Company Official Website - Press Releases".
- "TVS Apache RTR Series | One of the Best Racing Bikes,India | Official Site". www.tvsapache.com. Retrieved 15 September 2016.
- [dead link]
-  Archived December 22, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- TVS Apache ABS, Bike India, 5 January 2011, retrieved 2011-09-29
- "TVS Motor launches Indias First Motorcycle with ABS Apache RTR 180 ABS". Tvsmotor.in. 2011-03-11. Retrieved 2013-02-17.
- "TVS APACHE RTR EFi vs BAJAJ PULASAR 200 DTS Fi", Overdrive.in, December 25, 2007, archived from the original on December 29, 2008
-  Archived September 14, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.