|Type||Broadcast television network|
First air date
|1975 (as TVE Brasil)|
|Founded||December 2, 2007 (12:00 am)
|Slogan||A TV do Brasil
|Owner||Empresa Brasil de Comunicação|
|Nelson Breve (president), Eduardo Castro (director-general)|
TV Brasil is a Brazilian non-profit public broadcasting television network launched on December 2, 2007 at noon. Although TV Cultura was the first public broadcasting channel in the country, TV Brasil is the first launched by the federal government.
TV Brasil originated from a decree which created Empresa Brasil de Comunicação, the network's maintainer, published on October 25, 2007 in the Diário Oficial da União, Brazil's official gazette. It was generated from the fusion of Empresa Brasileira de Comunicação - Radiobrás and Associação de Comunicação Educativa Roquette Pinto, responsible for the maintenance of the now defunct TVE Brasil - which was replaced by TV Brasil in several cities. The lack of equipment restricted TV Brasil's launching to only three cities (Rio de Janeiro, Brasília and São Luís). Its programming, however, is also available through its official website and cable and satellite television.
TV Brasil affiliated stations broadcast four hours a day of regional programing. It also broadcast Brazilian films and programs made by other public television channels. The programming of is divided into five daily streams: children, animation, audio-visual, citizenship and sports.
Franklin Martins, Secretary of Social Communication, has commented that TV Brasil's programming is not yet fully prepared and may suffer from late changes. Martins also said he wished to use public opinion polls to determine the programming.
Among self-owned and affiliated stations, TV Brasil reaches over 30 municipalities throughout all regions of Brazil. On the rest of the country, TV Brasil's availability is limited to satellite and cable television. Its live programming can also be watched on the network's official website.
- "Decreto oficializa a criação da Empresa Brasil de Comunicação" ("Decree oficializes the creation of the Empresa Brasil de Comunicação". Isabela Vieira. Agência Brasil. October 25, 2007. Retrieved December 1, 2007.
- "Falta de transmissores restringe lançamento da TV Brasil a Rio, Brasília e São Luís" ("Lack of equipment restricts launching to Rio, Brasília and São Luís"). Regiane Soares. Folha de S. Paulo. November 30, 2007. Retrieved December 1, 2007.
- "Sociedade terá seis meses para opinar sobre programação da nova TV" ("Society will have three months to decide the programming of the new TV"). Alessandra Bastos. Agência Brasil. October 11, 2007. Retrieved December 1, 2007.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to TV Brasil.|
- (Portuguese) TV Brasil official website
- TV Brasil on Twitter
- TV Brasil on Facebook
- TV Brasil at LyngSat Address