This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Type of site
|TV tracker, social network|
|Operating system||iOS, Android|
TV Time (formerly TVShow Time) is a tracking platform for TV and movies on iOS, Android, and web. The TV tracker helps series fans navigate their viewing experience. It enables users to track what they are watching, how they are watching, when they are watching, and why they are watching. TV Time also lets users react and comment on episodes and movies within the app’s community. Users are not able to watch shows or movies with TV Time.
|2012||TV Time launches as TVShow Time in Paris, France.|
|2016||Whip Networks, a Santa Monica, CA based start-up, acquires TVShow Time.|
|2017||TVShow Time rebrands as TV Time.|
|2018||TV Time launches TVLytics, an insights platform for media companies.|
|2019||TV Time acquires its online metadata source, TheTVDB.|
|TV Time adds Movies and a Darkmode feature.|
|TV Time acquires Mediamorph.|
Every registered TV Time user has their own profile. When a user opens the app, four tabs appear at the bottom of the screen: Shows, Movies, Discover and Profile.
- Watch List: A list of show posters or thumbnails with episode descriptions (depending on a user’s preference). Here, users can see what shows to watch next, what they haven’t seen in a while, and their watch history based on which shows they’ve added to their Watch List. In the poster view, a yellow progress bar that illustrates the user's progression on a show. This tab also allows one to mark an episode as ‘watched.’ In the thumbnail view, users have the option to swipe right or press the check mark next to the episode description. In the poster view, users click the check mark within the episode pages.
- Show Pages: Once an episode is marked as watched, individual episode pages reveal comments from the TV Time community and gives the ability to rate the episode, express feelings, and vote for favorite characters. There is a no spoiler rule in place, so unless a user has marked the episode as watched, this content will remain hidden.
- Upcoming: The ‘Upcoming’ section works as a reminder for future episodes of shows a user has followed. Users can also opt in to receive push notifications an hour before a show airs.
- Watch List: Similar to the Shows tab, a list of movie posters appears. Here, users can movies they have added to their Watch List. This tab also allows one to mark an episode as ‘watched’ by going into the movie and selecting the check mark next to the movie description.
- Movie Pages: Movie pages allow users to rate the film, express feelings, and vote for favorite characters. The “no spoiler rule” applies here as well if a user has not marked the movie as ‘watched,’ they won’t see comments left by the TV Time community.
- Upcoming: The ‘Upcoming’ list features movies a user has added to their Watch List that have yet to be released.
The app offers an explore feature which allows users to discover new shows according to different criterion, such as genre and popularity.
- Search & Discover More: The search bar lets users find shows, movies, and other users within TV Time. If a user isn’t sure what to watch next, they have the option of using the ‘Discover More’ feature. This section has genre filtering capabilities, show status options (ongoing or ended), and trending series (what’s popular or the “most binged”).
- Recommendations: The ‘Top Shows for You’ field displays programming that a user may want to add to their Watch List based on genres and shows that they enjoy.
- Trending: ‘Trending Shows & Movies’ features what’s currently popular in TV Time based on the number of user comments within the last 3 days while ‘Recent Activity’ displays series that a users’ in-app friends are following.
- Stats: The top of a user’s profile features certain stats, such as how much time the user has spent watching TV a.k.a. their “TV Time.” This clock shows an estimated amount of time a user has spent watching television. The accumulated time is based on the episodes marked as watched and their duration. This is also available for movies in the “Movie Time” section. The top also features a number of episodes and movies watched by a user, which is based on the number of episodes a user has marked as watched. Another ‘Stats’ option at the bottom of the profile allows a user to dig deeper with graphs, badges, and rankings.
- Show & Movie Lists: A user’s profile displays recent shows/films that they’ve tracked. A profile may also show off lists of favorite shows/films if the user has chosen to do so. Users also have the option to get creative with “custom lists” that can combine both movies and television series.
- Badges: Another characteristic of the profile is the display of badges. Badges are rewards that every user gets when using TV Time. They are divided in two main categories: discovery badges and addiction badges. Discovery badges are given when the user makes use of the site's features for the first time. Addiction badges, on the other hand, are given to the user when he or she interacts with TV shows. These badges are:
|-||Serial Emotioner||Serial Actor Voter||Serial Commentator||Quick Watcher||Marathoner||Visionary||Serial Watcher|
|No Stars / Brown||Set 3 emotions on a show in a row||Vote for 3 actors of a show in a row||Comment 3 episodes of a show in a row, less than 1 hour after watching each episode||Watch 3 episodes of a show less than 48h after their air date, in a row||Watch 3 episodes of a show within 24 hours||***||Watch TV shows for 5 days in a row|
|1 Star / Blue||Set 5 emotions on a show in a row||Vote for 5 actors of a show in a row||Comment 5 episodes of a show in a row, less than 1 hour after watching each episode||Watch 5 episodes of a show less than 48h after their air date, in a row||Watch 5 episodes of a show within 24 hours||Be one of the first 1000 followers of a show that will become popular (+10000 followers)||Watch TV shows for 10 days in a row|
|2 Stars / Red||Set 10 emotions on a show in a row||Vote for 10 actors of a show in a row||Comment 10 episodes of a show in a row, less than 1 hour after watching each episode||Watch 10 episodes of a show less than 48h after their air date, in a row||Watch 10 episodes of a show within 48 hours||Be one of the first 500 followers of a show that will become popular (+10000 followers)||Watch TV shows for 15 days in a row|
|3 Stars / Gold||Set 15 emotions on a show in a row||Vote for 15 actors of a show in a row||Comment 30 episodes of a show in a row, less than 1 hour after watching each episode||Watch 15 episodes of a show less than 48h after their air date, in a row||Watch 20 episodes of a show within 72 hours||Be one of the first 100 followers of a show that will become popular (+10000 followers)||Watch TV shows for 30 days in a row|
|All information on this table was gathered manually though various users.
*** Note: unable to locate a user with this badge. Probable to be one of the first 2500 or 5000 followers.
Most Popular TV Shows
As of 5 November 2019, the television series with the most followers on TV Time were:
|Rank||Title||Followers||Original Network||Status||Seasons||Active Years||Ref|
|1||Game of Thrones||4 615 812||HBO||Ended||8||2011 - 2019|||
|2||Stranger Things||4 008 162||Netflix||Continuing||3||2016 - today|||
|3||The Walking Dead||3 737 064||AMC||10||2010 - today|||
|4||13 Reasons Why||3 625 604||Netflix||3||2017 - today|||
|5||The 100||2 956 474||The CW||6||2014 - today|||
|6||Orange Is the New Black||2 918 342||Netflix||Ended||7||2013 - 2019|||
|7||Riverdale||2 889 605||The CW||Continuing||4||2017 - today|||
|8||Grey's Anatomy||2 685 997||ABC||16||2005 - today|||
|9||The Flash (2014)||2 677 638||The CW||6||2014 - today|||
|10||Arrow||2 622 814||8||2012 - today|||
|11||Money Heist||2 525 507||Netflix||2||2017 - today|||
|12||The Big Bang Theory||2 454 883||CBS||Ended||12||2007 - 2019|||
|13||Black Mirror||2 285 705||Netflix||Continuing||5||2011 - today|||
|14||Sherlock||2 241 070||BBC||4||2010 - today|||
|15||Vikings||2 171 747||History||6||2013 - today|||
|16||Pretty Little Liars||2 159 741||Freeform||Ended||7||2010 - 2017|||
|17||The Vampire Diaries||2 159 207||The CW||8||2009 - 2017|||
|18||American Horror Story||2 122 077||FX||Continuing||9||2011 - today|||
|19||Breaking Bad||2 121 463||AMC||Ended||5||2008 - 2013|||
|20||Lucifer||2 104 631||Netflix||Continuing||4||2016 - today|||
|21||Supernatural||2 075 517||The CW||15||2005 - today|||
|22||Prison Break||2 050 677||FOX||Ended||5||2005 - 2017|||
|23||How to Get Away with Murder||1 987 063||ABC||Continuing||6||2014 - today|||
|24||The Simpsons||1 857 832||FOX||31||1989 - today|||
|25||Teen Wolf||1 856 952||MTV||Ended||6||2011 - 2017|||
|26||Once Upon a Time (2011)||1 823 683||ABC||7||2011 - 2018|||
|27||Narcos||1 727 031||Netflix||3||2015 - 2017|||
|28||Marvel's Daredevil||1 661 998||3||2015 - 2018|||
|29||Friends||1 646 402||NBC||10||1994 - 2004|
|30||How I Met Your Mother||1 616 066||CBS||9||2005 - 2014|
|31||Suits||1 597 724||USA Network||9||2011 - 2019|
|32||Mr. Robot||1 596 229||4||2015 - 2019|||
|33||The Originals||1 587 512||The CW||5||2013 - 2018|||
|34||Supergirl||1 492 008||Continuing||5||2015 - today|
|35||Gossip Girl||1 474 384||Ended||6||2007 - 2012|
|36||Sense8||1 457 321||Netflix||2||2015 - 2018|
|37||Gotham||1 427 589||FOX||5||2014 - 2019|
|38||Westworld||1 413 780||HBO||Continuing||2||2016 - today|
|39||Marvel's Jessica Jones||1 369 571||Netflix||Ended||3||2015 - 2019|
|40||Modern Family||1 362 577||ABC||Continuing||11||2009 - today|
|41||Rick and Morty||1 360 272||Adult Swim||3||2013 - today|
|42||The End of the F***ing World||1 352 318||Channel 4||2||2017 - today|
|43||Shadowhunters||1 344 654||Freeform||Ended||3||2016 - 2019|
|44||House of Cards (US)||1 308 712||Netflix||6||2013 - 2018|
|45||Dark||1 300 462||Continuing||2||2017 - today|
|46||Elite||1 272 086||2||2018 - today|
|47||Sex Education||1 257 267||1||2019 - today|
|48||Shameless (US)||1 201 847||Showtime||10||2011 - today|
|49||New Girl||1 171 628||FOX||Ended||7||2011 - 2018|
|50||You||1 170 938||Netflix||Continuing||1||2018 - today|
TV Time is currently available in thirteen, different languages.
TV Time has a public API, which allows users to create their own plugins. A plugin for Kodi that marks episodes as watched automatically after it has been watched on it was released on February 15, 2015. Another plugin for Google Chrome that integrates several features to the web browser had been released a few weeks before.
TV Time uses TheTVDB’s database as a source of information for all shows and movies in its library.
- Tvtag, a similar website also dedicated to television, now shut down.
- "tvshowtime.com Site Overview". Alexa. Retrieved on June 6, 2016.
- "Apple on the App Store". iTunes Store. 2019-03-29. Retrieved 2019-03-29.
- "TV Time - Track What You Watch". Google Play Store. 2019-11-19. Retrieved 2019-11-19.
- "Game of Thrones on TVShow Time". TVShow Time. Retrieved on December 14, 2017.
- "Stranger Things on TVShow Time". TVShow Time. Retrieved on December 14, 2017.
- "The Walking Dead on TVShow Time". TVShow Time. Retrieved on December 14, 2017.
- "13 Reasons Why on TVShow Time". TVShow Time. Retrieved on December 14, 2017.
- "The 100 on TVShow Time". TVShow Time. Retrieved on December 14, 2017.
- "Orange Is the New Black on TVShow Time". TVShow Time. Retrieved on December 14, 2017.
- Riverdale, retrieved 2018-01-07
- "Grey's Anatomy on TVShow Time". TVShow Time. Retrieved on December 14, 2017.
- "The Flash on TVShow Time". TVShow Time. Retrieved on December 14, 2017.
- "Arrow on TVShow Time". TVShow Time. Retrieved on December 14, 2017.
- Money Heist, retrieved 2018-10-18
- "The Big Bang Theory on TVShow Time". TVShow Time. Retrieved on December 14, 2017.
- Riverdale, retrieved 2018-02-05
- "Sherlock on TVShow Time". TVShow Time. Retrieved on December 14, 2017.
- "Vikings on TVShow Time". TVShow Time. Retrieved on December 14, 2017.
- "Pretty Little Liars on TVShow Time". TVShow Time. Retrieved on December 14, 2017.
- "The Vampire Diaries on TVShow Time". TVShow Time. Retrieved on December 14, 2017.
- "American Horros Story on TVShow Time". TVShow Time. Retrieved on December 14, 2017.
- "Breaking Bad on TVShow Time". TVShow Time. Retrieved on December 14, 2017.
- Lucifer, retrieved 2019-01-08
- "Super Natural on TVShow Time". TVShow Time. Retrieved on December 14, 2017.
- "Prison Break on TVShow Time". TVShow Time. Retrieved on December 14, 2017.
- How to Get Away with Murder, retrieved 2018-01-07
- The Simpsons, retrieved 2018-01-07
- "Teen Wolf on TVShow Time". TVShow Time. Retrieved on December 14, 2017.
- "Once Upon a Time on TVShow Time". TVShow Time. Retrieved on December 14, 2017.
- Narcos, retrieved 2018-01-07
- Marvel's Daredevil, retrieved 2018-01-07
- Mr. Robot, retrieved 2018-01-07
- The Originals, retrieved 2018-01-07
- "TVShow Time API". TVShow Time. Retrieved on October 21, 2015.
- "TVShow Time". Chrome Web Store. Retrieved on October 21, 2015.
- "TVShow Time, l'appli française qui change la façon de regarder les séries télé". Le Huffington Post. 15 July 2015.
- "TvShow Time: come Netflix, ma più economica e con i torrent". Wired. 25 November 2014.
- "TVShow Time Releases Sleek New App For Its Community Of TV Addicts". TechCrunch. AOL. 15 July 2015.
- "TVShow Time Lets You Stream All Your Favorite TV Shows Thanks To Put.io". TechCrunch. AOL. 3 March 2014.