|Elevation||14,162 ft (4,317 m) |
|Prominence||455 ft (139 m) |
|Isolation||0.75 mi (1.21 km) |
|Listing||Colorado Fourteener 25th|
|Location||Chaffee County, Colorado, U.S.|
|Parent range||Sawatch Range|
|Topo map||USGS 7.5' topographic map|
Saint Elmo, Colorado
Tabeguache Peak is one of the fourteeners of the US state of Colorado. It is a near neighbor of the higher peak Mount Shavano, which lies approximately 1/2 mile (approximately 1 km) to the southeast, and is close to being a subpeak of the latter. According to William Bright an American Linguist specialized in Native American and South Asian languages and descriptive linguistics it is pronounced "TAB-uh-wahch" (// (listen)). According to Mountaineer Louis Dawson the name is pronounced "tab-uh-wash," with the accent on the first syllable. It lies just east of the Continental Divide and just west of the Arkansas River, in the south-central part of the Sawatch Range. It is located within the San Isabel National Forest and is in Chaffee County.
"Tabaguache" means 'People of Sun Mountain', from "Tava" meaning 'sun'
- Mount Tabequache
- Tabeguache Mountain
- Tageguache Peak – 1982 
- "Tabeguache Peak". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved October 29, 2014.
- "TABEGUACHE". NGS data sheet. U.S. National Geodetic Survey. Retrieved October 22, 2014.
- The elevation of Tabeguache Peak includes an adjustment of +2.107 m (+6.91 ft) from NGVD 29 to NAVD 88.
- "Tabeguache Peak, Colorado". Peakbagger.com. Retrieved October 22, 2014.
- The topographic prominence of Tabeguache Peak is only 435 ft (133 m), and the usual cutoff for independence is 300 ft (91 m).
- William Bright (2004). Colorado Place Names. Johnson Books. ISBN 978-1555663339.
- Louis W. Dawson II (1994). Dawson's Guide to Colorado's Fourteeners, Volume 1. Blue Clover Press. ISBN 0-9628867-1-8.
- Mt. Shavano and Tabeguache Peak on 14ers.com
- Mount Shavano at the Colorado Fourteeners Initiative
- Mount Shavano on fourteeners.org
- "Mount Shavano, Colorado". Peakbagger.com.
|This Colorado state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|