Table Mountain Observatory
Aerial view of Table Mountain Observatory
|Organization||NASA / JPL|
|Location||Wrightwood, California, U.S.|
|Altitude||2,286 meters (7,500 ft)|
|Website||Table Mountain Observatory|
Table Mountain Observatory (TMO) is an astronomical observation facility operated by NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (California Institute of Technology). It is located in Angeles National Forest near Wrightwood, California. Located 63 kilometers (39 mi) north-northeast of Los Angeles, TMO is part of JPL's Table Mountain Facility (TMF). The larger site hosts a number of non-astronomical projects. The site was first used by the Smithsonian Institution in 1924, which conducted atmospheric, solar, and astronomical observations for many years. JPL took over the lease in 1962.
TMO conducts high-precision astrometric observations to support NASA and international spacecraft mission navigation, confirmation and recovery of Near-Earth objects such as comets and asteroids that may potentially impact the Earth, and technology development.
- The 1.02 m (40 in) Pomona College Telescope is a Cassegrain reflector built at Pomona College. It first became operation in 1985, and had new mirrors installed in 1996.
- A 0.6 m Ritchey-Chrétien reflector built by Astro Mechanics was installed in 1966. It is attached to an off-axis German equatorial mount.
- A 1.25 m (49 in) reflector previously located at Cloudcroft Observatory was acquired in the late 1980s and became operation in the early 1990s. It was removed from the TMO web site before June 2003.
- A 0.4 m (16 in) Ritchey-Chrétien reflector built by RC Optical Systems was attached to an equatorial mount. It was installed in 2003 and removed from the TMO web site before July 2011. It was housed in the dome where the Schmidt camera was previously located.
- A 0.4 m (16 in) Cassegrain reflector was installed at TMO in 1962. Harvey Mudd College was the main user of this telescope from the 1970s through at least 1991.
- A 0.27 m (11 in) Schmidt camera owned by JPL operated at TMO from 1985 until at least 1991.
- A 5.5 m (18 ft) millimeter wavelength radio antenna was located at TMO from 1970 until at least 1985.
- A radio interferometer with dishes of 4.4 m (14 ft) and 3.0 m (9.8 ft) became operational at TMO in 1974.
Objects discovered or confirmed
|MPC designation||Alternate name||MPC designation||Alternate name||MPC designation||Alternate name|
|90525||Karijanberg||115485||2003 UR19||116446||2004 AG|
|116903||2004 GW||128621||2004 RD||129066||2004 VY28|
|134010||2004 VW28||143052||2002 WY2||145166||2005 JL|
|147735||2005 NE||147799||2005 RA34||149450||2003 CE14|
|149976||2005 UO6||150035||Williamson||152212||2005 RG|
|152471||2005 WE1||158621||2003 BJ||158899||2004 QO|
|161384||2003 UK25||163626||Glatfelter||163950||2003 UN22|
|166609||2002 RF232||170025||2002 VO||170026||2002 VV2|
|170027||2002 VH5||171287||2006 GK3||172460||2003 RT11|
|172533||2003 UO9||172627||2003 XP10||173075||2006 UC|
|174758||2003 VX2||177065||2003 FP7||177245||2003 WB|
|177625||2004 JD||180103||2003 FX6||180213||2003 UM8|
|180216||2003 UY9||180537||2004 EB1||180731||2004 JW35|
|181492||2006 UU1||183309||2002 VQ||183501||2003 FU4|
|184064||2004 GM||185641||2008 EH69||186728||2004 CH2|
|187304||2005 UV||188588||2005 NP29||188721||2005 UU|
|189944||2003 TX||190118||2004 VR60||115312||Whither|
|147397||Bobhazel||191323||2003 KN||191485||2003 TO2|
- "Table Mountain Observatory: Home". Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Retrieved 2010-07-30.
- Young, James W.; Harris, Alan W. (Spring 2009). "The Early History of Photometric Observations of Asteroids made at the Table Mountain Observatory". The Society for Astronomical Sciences 28th Annual Symposium on Telescope Science. Held May 19–21 28: 77. Bibcode:2009SASS...28...77Y.
- "Table Mountain Observatory: Programs". Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Retrieved 2010-07-30.
- "Projects at TMF". Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Retrieved 2012-01-20.
- "Telescope specs | Pomona College Astronomy Program". Pomona College Astronomy Program. Retrieved 2012-01-20.
- "Table Mountain Observatory: Telescopes". Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Retrieved 2012-01-20.
- Young, James W. (2009-12-17). "The Table Mountain Facility - 4: 1986 - 1998". Retrieved 2012-01-22.
- Klett, K. K. (1992). "California Institute of Technology, Jet Propulsion Laboratory/Table Mountain Observatory, Wrightwood, California 92397. Report for the period Jul 1990 - Jul 1991". Bulletin of the Astronomical Society 24: 119. Bibcode:1992BAAS...24..119K.
- "Table Mountain Observatory: Telescopes". Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Archived from the original on 2003-11-28. Retrieved 2012-01-20.
- "Table Mountain Observatory: Telescopes". Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Archived from the original on 2010-05-28. Retrieved 2012-01-22.
- Young, James W. (2009-12-17). "The Table Mountain Facility - 3: 1965 - 1986". Retrieved 2012-01-22.
- "Jet Propulsion Laboratory 1973-1974 Annual Report" (PDF). Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Retrieved 2012-01-20.