Tabor College Australia
|This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Motto||"Witnesses of His Majesty" (2 Peter 1:16)|
|Type||Christian tertiary education|
|Location||Adelaide and Perth, Australia|
|Campus||Millswood, South Australia, Mount Lawley, Western Australia|
Tabor College is an Australian Christian tertiary college offering a range of liberal arts courses from certificate to post-graduate studies in the areas of counselling, education, ministry, performing arts, mission, youth studies and humanities. The college is based in Adelaide, South Australia with a campus in Perth. The Adelaide campus, formerly including the national headquarters, is housed in National Trust heritage listed buildings in Goodwood, which were formerly an orphanage and more recently an education centre.
Tabor had its origins in the then Christian Revival Crusade (now CRC Churches International), a Pentecostal denomination. It has retained its charismatic ethos and established itself as a liberal arts institution with many students and faculty coming from mainline churches. These include the Anglican, Baptist, Churches of Christ, Uniting Church in Australia churches, as well as many Pentecostal groups. Tabor seeks to ensure all its programs are: Scripture-based, Christ-centred, academically sound, ministry-oriented, positively expressed and spiritually empowered.
Tabor's founding principal was Pastor Barry Chant, now retired from the role of pastor of the International Congregation at Wesley Mission in Sydney. Chant is the author of several books including a history of Pentecostalism in Australia called Heart of Fire (1984, Adelaide: Tabor). Chant started the college in Adelaide with co-founder Dennis Slape.
Expansion and partnerships
- New South Wales and Queensland: Australian College of Christian Studies (ACCS), established 2014
- Victoria: Eastern College Australia established 2015.
- Tasmania: Alphacrucis from 2016 incorporated Tabor Tasmania
- South Australia and Western Australia: Tabor College main campus in Adelaide, the previously independent Tabor Perth merged with Tabor Adelaide in 2015 maintaining a Perh campus
The admission process for undergraduates is based on the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank and interviews held between the applicants and faculty.
Tabor College offers undergraduate Bachelor of Theology, Bachelor of Ministry and Bachelor of Intercultural Studies degrees, as well as Bachelor of Arts degrees in humanities, Bachelor of Social Science degrees in Counselling or Youthwork, and a variety of Bachelor of Education degrees. Tabor also offers master's degrees in all its faculties as well as a PhD in theology.
Tabor has formal links with a range of allied organisations including the South Pacific Association of Bible Colleges, the Association of Pentecostal and Charismatic Bible Colleges of Australasia, the Australian and New Zealand Theological Library Association, Unilinc and Missions Interlink.
- Tabor - Handbook Overview
- Dr Wynand J. de Kock, Principal Tabor Victoria; Rev. Peter J. Dobson; Principal Kingsley College. "Kingsley College and Tabor Victoria - United Press Release: Christian Colleges Unite with 100 years' experience". Archived from the original on 2008-07-19. Retrieved 2008-10-18.
- Australian College of Christian Studies
- Australian College of Christian Studies Ltd (formerly Tabor College (NSW) Ltd)
- "Tabor Victoria is now Eastern College Australia!".
- Tabor Tasmania
- Tabor College Perth campus
- Pentecostal Charismatic Bible Colleges
- Membership Directory
- UNILINC Limited: Reciprocal Borrowing
- Missions Interlink - Members