This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
مِنْطَقَة تَبُوْك (in Arabic)
Map of Saudi Arabia with Tabuk highlighted
|• Governor||Fahd bin Sultan|
|• Total||146,072 km2 (56,399 sq mi)|
|• Density||6.2/km2 (16/sq mi)|
Tabuk (Arabic: مِنْطَقَة تَبُوْك Minṭaqat Tabūk), also spelled Tabouk, is a region of Saudi Arabia, located along the north-west coast of the country, facing Egypt across the Red Sea. It has an area of 146,072 km² and a population of 910,030 (2017). Its capital is Tabuk. The governor is Fahd bin Sultan since 1987.
The history of the Tabuk region dates back to 5,000 years ago. The region is identified with the land of Madyan. The region is traversed by the Hejaz Railway, which was a focus for attacks during the Arab Revolt of 1916/18.
The region (Astra) exports flowers to Europe, mainly lilies, statices and gladiolas.
List of governors
The governors of the region since 1926 are as follows:
- Muhammad ibn Abdulziz Alshahl from 1926 to 1930
- Abdullah bin Saad from 1930 to 1931
- Abdullah bin Saad bin Abdul Mohsen Al Sudairi from 1931 to 1935
- Saud bin Hizlol bin Nasser Al Saud from 1936 to 1937
- Musaed Saud bin Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Al Saud of 1938 to 1950
- Suleiman bin Mohammed bin Sultan Al Sultan from 1950 to 1950
- Abdul Rahman bin Mohammed from 1950 to 1951
- Khalid bin Ahmed bin Mohammed Al Sudairi from 1951 to 1955
- Musaad bin Ahmed bin Mohammed Al Sudairi from 1955 to 1972
- Sulaiman bin Turki bin Suleiman Al Sudairi from 1972 to 1980
- Abdul Majeed bin Abdulaziz Al Saud from 1980 to 1986
- Mamdouh bin Abdulaziz Al Saud from 1986 to 1987
- Fahd bin Sultan Al Saud, 1987–present
- "Population Characteristics surveys" (PDF). General Authority for Statistics. 2017.
- Sabri, Sharaf (2001). The house of Saud in commerce : a study of royal entrepreneurship in Saudi Arabia. New Delhi: I.S. Publications. ISBN 8190125400. OCLC 47863742.
- "Tabūk | Saudi Arabia". Encyclopedia Britannica. Retrieved 2019-04-11.
- Saudi Arabia: Regions and Cities
- "Tabouk City Profile, Saudi Arabia". The Saudi Network. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "the list of all governors of Tabuk Province". Ministry of Interior. Archived from the original on 22 January 2011. Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- "Tabuk". www.sauditourism.sa. Retrieved 2019-04-11.