This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Industry||Quick Service Restaurants|
|Founded||Abilene, Texas (1967)|
|Founder||Bill Waugh (Founder)|
|Tony Darden, President and COO|
|Products||Tacos, burritos, and other Mexican-related fast food|
Number of employees
Taco Bueno is a U.S.-based, fast-food restaurant chain specializing in Tex-Mex-style Mexican cuisine. The company is currently headquartered in Farmers Branch, Texas; its first location opened in Abilene, Texas in 1967. The food chain has locations in Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Colorado, Alabama and Texas. The chain currently includes more than 180 restaurants.
Taco Bueno was founded in 1967 by Bill R. Waugh, an art graduate from Abilene Christian University. The first store was located in Abilene, Texas. In 1981, Taco Bueno was acquired by British food manufacturer Unigate. In 1996, Taco Bueno was sold to Carl's Jr.'s franchisor CKE Restaurants.
On August 10, 2005, Palladium Equity Partners announced the purchase of Taco Bueno from Jacobson Partners. At the same time, John Miller was appointed CEO of Taco Bueno. In 2011, Ed Lambert became CEO of Taco Bueno, LP., followed by Mike Roper in 2015.
In fall 2015, Taco Bueno announced its first delivery expansion partnership with mobile app Tapingo. In early December 2015, Taco Bueno was purchased by TPG Growth, a division of the Fort Worth private equity firm TPG Capital.
As of January 1, 2018, breakfast will be discontinued.
References in popular culture
- Taco Bueno has been referenced several times on the television show King of the Hill. In the episode, "Kidney Boy and Hamster Girl: A Love Story," Bobby discovers a Taco Bueno in the cafeteria of the high school where he is pretending to be a student.
- Founder Bill Waugh also founded Casa Bonita, a chain with one location remaining in Lakewood, Colorado. It was featured on an episode of South Park. See Casa Bonita (South Park episode)
- "Franchise - Taco Bueno". tacobueno.com. Retrieved 2016-12-22.
- "CKE RESTAURANTS AGREES TO PURCHASE CASA BONITA". New York Times. 29 August 1996. Retrieved 29 May 2011.
- "CKE WILL SELL ITS TACO BUENO UNIT FOR $72.5 MILLION". The New York Times. 15 March 2001. Retrieved 29 May 2011.
- "Palladium Equity Partners Completes Acquisition of Taco Bueno Restaurant Chain". Palladium Equity. Archived from the original on 7 September 2012. Retrieved 29 May 2011.
- "Taco Bueno to offer its first delivery service". Dallas Business Journal. Retrieved October 2, 2015.
- "TPG". TPG Growth. Retrieved 2017-12-29.
- Tramel, Jimmie (28 Apr 2017). "What happened when 'Undercover Boss' went to Taco Bueno in Owasso?". Tulsa World. Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- "South Park: Casa Bonita". South Park. South Park Studios. Retrieved 29 May 2011.