|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
It's all about the taste!
|Founded||Wichita, Kansas (1962)|
Taco Tico is a chain of Tex-Mex cuisine fast-food restaurants headquartered in Wichita, Kansas. As of June 2012 there are 36 stores located in Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, and Oklahoma. Dan Foley opened the first Taco Tico in 1962, in his native Wichita, Kansas, and began franchising new locations in 1967. The company was a regional hit by 1980.
In 1988, Foley sold the company and chain to a former executive from KFC. The meat recipe, which gave Taco Tico tacos their unique flavor, was changed at that time. The meat, at that time, was sent to the stores in frozen tubes from the main distribution center. The new flavoring was unpopular and Taco Tico has since switched back to the original.
On March 5, 2013, 10 restaurants were closed by the Kansas Department of Revenue for failure to remit $434,939.23 in sales tax. The restaurants were later reopened after a bankruptcy filing and a deal between Ajax International Group and the Kansas Department of Revenue. Three independently-franchised locations were unaffected by the closure or bankruptcy filing.
On July 11, 2013 The State of Kansas re-closed 10 Taco-Tico franchises for failure to pay state taxes.
Three remaining Wichita-area Taco Tico restaurants closed in August and September 2013.
On February 5, 2014 the new owner reopened one of the former Wichita, KS locations (13th Street & Tyler Road), with plans to open at least four more stores in Wichita by the end of 2014. Stores have also reopened in Arkansas City, Augusta, Derby, and Newton, KS.
On October 25, 2014 one of the closed locations in Topeka, KS reopened after being purchased by new owners. 
- Reber, Jessica. "State closes Taco Tico restaurants for failing to pay sales tax". News Article. KWCH. Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- Heck, Josh. "Bankruptcy filing will allow some Wichita-area Taco Ticos to reopen". Blog. Wichita Business Journal. Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- Wichita Taco Tico Locations Appear Closer To Closing For Good, KAKE (kake.com), June 12, 2013
- Taco Tico restaurants in Augusta, Newton close, Wichita Business Journal, September 20, 2013
- , Topeka Capital-Journal, October 4, 2014