Tacoma station (Amtrak)
|Amtrak inter-city rail station|
|Location||1001 Puyallup Avenue
Tacoma, WA 98421
|Owned by||Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Passengers (2016)||118,832 0.52%|
Tacoma is an Amtrak train station in Tacoma, Washington, United States. It is served by Amtrak's Cascades and Coast Starlight lines. The one story building was constructed to a standard design that Amtrak developed in the 1970s and used at locations throughout the country for the next two decades. Typical features included at Tacoma are brick walls, floor to ceiling windows and a flat, black, cantilevered roof.
Amtrak trains will be rerouted away from Tacoma's shoreline and onto a new inland cutoff route, the Point Defiance Bypass, in late 2017, and as a result, the station will be relocated to the Freighthouse Square building, a former warehouse rebuilt into a collection of small businesses and eateries near the Tacoma Dome. After an early plan from 2013 to build a new station in the west end of the building was rejected due to public criticism of the design, the state of Washington in 2015 completed a new design, placing the station in the center of the building. In March 2016, the state reached an agreement to purchase the required part of the building and demolish it to make way for the new station, with construction to begin in June 2016.
Although the Amtrak Cascades runs between Eugene, Oregon and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, there is no train that starts at one terminus and ends at the other. However, each day eight Amtrak Cascades trains (four northbound and four southbound) stop at Tacoma.[Note 1] (The next northbound stop on the Amtrak Cascades is in Tukwila and the next southbound stop is in Lacey.)
The Coast Starlight has a simpler, less frequent schedule and runs daily in each direction between Los Angeles, California and Seattle.[Note 2] (The next northbound stop on the Coast Starlight is in Seattle and the next southbound stop is in Lacey.)
Boardings and alightings
- As of 20 February 2016 the new Amtrak Cascades schedule is as follows:
- Southbound trains:
- Train 501 stops at 8:08 am (originating in Seattle and heading to Portland, Oregon)
- Train 513 stops at 11:58 pm (originating in Vancouver, British Columbia and heading to Portland)
- Train 507 stops at 2:53 pm (originating in Seattle and heading to Eugene, Oregon)
- Train 509 stops at 6:48 pm (originating in Seattle and heading to Portland)
- Northbound trains:
- Train 500 stops at 10:54 am (originating in Eugene and heading to Seattle)
- Train 506 stops at 2:34 pm (originating in Portland and heading for Seattle)
- Train 516 stops at 5:24 pm (originating in Portland and heading for Vancouver, British Columbia)
- Train 508 stops at 9:24 pm (originating in Eugene and heading for Seattle)
- Southbound trains:
- As of 11 January 2016 the southbound Coast Starlight (Train 11) is scheduled to stop at 10:21 am and the northbound (Train 14) is scheduled to stop at 6:53 pm.
- "Tacoma, WA (TAC)". amtrak.com. Amtrak. Retrieved 11 Jan 2014.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, Fiscal Year 2016, State of Washington" (PDF). amtrak.com. Amtrak. November 2016. Retrieved 17 Jan 2017.
- "The Amtrak Standard Stations Program". Amtrak History & Archives. 4 March 2013. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- "Tacoma Amtrak station final design ready for public review". The News Tribune. October 25, 2015. Retrieved March 30, 2016.
- "Tacoma Amtrak station construction to begin in June after deal with Freighthouse Square owner". The News Tribune. March 24, 2016. Retrieved March 30, 2016.
- "Amtrak Cascades" (PDF). amtrak.com. Amtrak. 20 Feb 2016. pp. 2–3. Retrieved 29 Jul 2016.
- "Coast Starlight" (PDF). amtrak.com. Amtrak. 11 Jan 2016. p. 2. Retrieved 29 Jul 2016.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, Fiscal Year 2011: State of Washington" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2011. p. 1. Retrieved 6 Jan 2015.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, Fiscal Year 2012: State of Washington" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2012. p. 1. Retrieved 6 Jan 2015.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, Fiscal Year 2013: State of Washington" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2013. p. 1. Retrieved 6 Jan 2015.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, Fiscal Year 2014: State of Washington" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2014. p. 1. Retrieved 12 Jan 2016.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, Fiscal Year 2015: State of Washington" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2015. p. 1. Retrieved 12 Jan 2016.
- Amtrak – Stations – Tacoma, WA
- Media related to Tacoma (Amtrak station) at Wikimedia Commons
- Tacoma (TAC) (Amtrak's Great American Stations)
|This Washington train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|