Taconic Correctional Facility
|Location||250 Harris Road |
Bedford Hills, New York
|Managed by||New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision|
Taconic Correctional Facility is a medium security women's prison in Bedford Hills, New York that is operated by the New York State Department of Corrections. It is associated with the Bedford Hills Correctional Facility, a maximum security women's prison. In 1901 it opened as the 'New York State Reformatory for Women' between the ages of 15 and 30. The then Department of Corrections took over the administration of the reformatory in 1926 and, in 1933 it was merged it with the newly opened 'Bedford Hills Correctional Facility for women'. For the next four decades, the reformatory operated as part of Bedford Hills, still the state’s only maximum-security prison for females. In 1973, Taconic began operations as an autonomous medium-security prison. During 1971 and 1972, Bedford Hills was a correctional facility with separate male and female units. In 1973 the male inmates were transferred before the unit closed in June; the unit reopened in December as the Taconic Correctional Facility.
- "Ny Doc Taconic Correctional Facility Bedford Hills NY | from GlobalTel". www.globaltel.com. Retrieved 22 December 2018.
- McKinley, Jesse (31 August 2018). "The Prison Escape That Riveted the Nation: 5 Things We Learned From an Inquiry Into How It Happened". The New York Times. Retrieved 22 December 2018.
...inspections of two prisons — Taconic Correctional Facility, a medium-security women’s prison in Bedford Hills...
- "Report on Conditions of Confinement at Bedford Hills Correctional Facility" (.pdf). correctionalassociation.org. Women in Prison Project, Correctional Association of New York. August 2007. p. 11 (13 .pdf). Retrieved 22 December 2018.
... women incarcerated at Taconic Correctional Facility are permitted to participate in the Family Reunion Program and use the trailers at Bedford Hills, which is located across the road from Taconic.
- "Taconic Correctional Facillity: NYCHS Excerpts of DOCS | Today Facility Profile". www.correctionhistory.org. Retrieved 22 December 2018.
- NY State Dept. Of Corrections - Facility Listing
- 13 photographs of the New York State Reformatory for Women, c.1901 - Modern Records Centre, University of Warwick
|This article about a building or structure in New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a United States prison is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|