Clarence Fahnestock State Park
|Clarence Fahnestock Memorial State Park|
A view of Clarence Fahnestock Memorial State Park in Autumn.
|Location||1498 Route 301
Carmel, New York
|Nearest city||Carmel, New York|
|Area||14,086 acres (57.00 km2)|
|Operated by||New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation|
|Visitors||285,464 (in 2014)|
|Website||Clarence Fahnestock Memorial State Park|
Clarence Fahnestock Memorial State Park, also known as Fahnestock State Park, is a 14,086-acre (57.00 km2) New York state park located in Putnam and Dutchess counties. The park has hiking trails, a beach on Canopus Lake, and fishing on four ponds and two lakes. Most of the park is situated in northern Putnam County between the Taconic State Parkway and U.S. Route 9.
During the winter season, part of the park functions as the Fahnestock Winter Park. The park also includes an environmental center known as the Taconic Outdoor Education Center.
The original land, a donation of about 2,400 acres (9.7 km2), was donated in 1929 by Dr. Ernest Fahnestock as a memorial to his brother Clarence, who died in the post-World War I influenza epidemic treating patients with the disease.
Clarence Fahnestock State Park includes a beach, picnic tables with pavilions, a playground, recreation programs, a nature trail, hiking and biking, a bridle path, seasonal turkey and deer hunting, fishing and ice fishing, a campground with tent and trailer sites, a boat launch with boat rentals, and a food concession.
Fahnestock Winter Park
Contained within Clarence Fahnestock State Park is Fahnestock Winter Park, which is open from December through March, depending on conditions. The winter park offers sledding (tube only), cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, recreation programs and a nature trail. Equipment rental, lessons, and a food concession are available.
- NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. "Clarence Fahnestock Memorial State Park - Getting There". Parks.ny.gov. Retrieved September 1, 2015.
- "State Park Annual Attendance Figures by Facility: Beginning 2003". Data.ny.gov. Retrieved September 1, 2015.
- NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. "Clarence Fahnestock Memorial State Park". Parks.ny.gov. Retrieved September 1, 2015.
- Kleckner, Rob (October 3, 2013). "I am Clarence Fahnestock Memorial State Park, and this government shutdown is my time to shine". McSweeney's Internet Tendency. Retrieved October 3, 2013.
- Olson, D. M, E. Dinerstein; et al. (2001). "Terrestrial Ecoregions of the World: A New Map of Life on Earth". BioScience 51 (11): 933–938. doi:10.1641/0006-3568(2001)051[0933:TEOTWA]2.0.CO;2.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fahnestock State Park.|
- New York State Parks: Clarence Fahnestock State Park
- New York State Parks: Fahnestock Winter Park
- New York State Parks: Taconic Outdoor Education Center
- New York-New Jersey Trail Conference: Clarence Fahnestock Memorial State Park
|This article about a location in Putnam County, New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a location in Dutchess County, New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|