Tada Never Falls in Love
|Tada Never Falls in Love|
(Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai)
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Mitsue Yamazaki|
|Written by||Yoshiko Nakamura|
|Music by||Yukari Hashimoto|
|Original network||AT-X, Tokyo MX, TVA, KBS, SUN, TVQ, BS11|
|Original run||April 5, 2018 – June 28, 2018|
Tada Never Falls in Love (Japanese: 多田くんは恋をしない Hepburn: Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai) is a Japanese romantic comedy anime television series produced by Doga Kobo. It aired from April 5 to June 28, 2018. The series is licensed in North America by Sentai Filmworks.
The story follows Mitsuyoshi Tada, a boy who has never known love. He is taking pictures of the cherry blossoms in full bloom when he meets Teresa Wagner, a transfer student from a fictional European country called Larsenburg (ラルセンブルク Rarusenburuku). It seems that she separated from her travel companion upon arriving in Japan. Tada helps her and brings her to his grandfather's coffee shop. Teresa's travel companion and bodyguard Alec arrives and beats up Kaoru misunderstanding him as chasing after Teresa. They discover that the hotel they're supposed to be staying in is actually next to Tada's cafe. The next day, they enroll in Tada's school and are in the same class. Alec agrees on joining the Photography Club on Teresa's request that she also wants to take great pictures. Mitsuyoshi is actually an aspiring photographer and wants to become like his father, who was a famous photographer. Mitsuyoshi lost his parents in a car accident during their childhood. The one last photo his father took and the camera were the only things that came back. The story focuses on the adventures of Tada and his friends and their building relationships.
- Mitsuyoshi Tada (多田 光良 Tada Mitsuyoshi)
- Voiced by: Yūichi Nakamura (Japanese); Josh Grelle (English)
- A high-school boy and a member of his school's Photography Club, he aspires to become a photographer like his father. He has an encounter with Teresa whilst taking photos of the cherry blossoms in full bloom. He seems to be stoic and level-headed. One such incident is when he drank from Teresa's cup without hesitation that she offered him to taste the chocolate coffee. He runs a cafe with his grandfather and his sister Yui. He lost his parents in an accident during his childhood. He is diligent in photography. He thinks that he has seen Teresa's eyes somewhere in the past. As suggested by the title, he is not involved in romantic interactions and is straightforward in his way of thinking. He has black hair and black eyes. He has a fear of heights though he says that he just doesn't like riding on airplanes.
- Teresa Wagner (テレサ・ワーグナー Teresa Wāgunā) / Teresa de Larsenburg (テレサ・ドゥ・ラルセンブルク Teresa do Rarusenburuku)
- Voiced by: Manaka Iwami (Japanese); Sarah Wiedenheft (English)
- The Princess of Larsenburg and the heir to the Queen's throne, she came overseas to Japan as an exchange student and has an encounter with Mitsuyoshi while traveling and ends up in his school. She's a vivid fan of the fictional TV series Rainbow Shogun. She's an energetic but also an airheaded girl. She lives in Grand Palace Ginza, a hotel next to Mitsuyoshi's Cafe with her bodyguard Alec. No one knows about her being the heir to the Queen's throne in Japan. During her introduction to the Tada family, she slipped a syllable utterring her name as "Teresa du-" before correcting herself and saying "Teresa Wagner". For a member of the royal family, she's realistic in her expectations and does not show any arrogance. She has a heartwarming smile as shown in anime. She has blonde hair and green eyes. Charles is her fiance. She tells Alec that she hasn't forgotten her responsibility towards Larsenburg and that she will soon become queen and also marry Charles after she returns to her homeland. She, however, admits to have fallen in love with Tada. She gets confused and weeps when she can not control her actions of affection towards Tada as this contradicts with her responsibility towards her country.
- Kaoru Ijūin (伊集院 薫 Ijūin Kaoru)
- Voiced by: Mamoru Miyano (Japanese); Mike Haimoto (English)
- Mitsuyoshi's close friend, classmate and fellow Photography Club member. He's a popular boy amongst girls and a narcissist who cannot resist the urge of photographing himself and show-off with girls. He has a fear of Alec after she beats him believing that he was chasing after Teresa. His family owns an old Japanese-style restaurant, which has allowed him to hone his cooking skill to the point where he is able to cook an entire feast for his friends.
- Alexandra Magritte (アレクサンドラ・マグリット Arekusandora Maguritto)
- Voiced by: Shino Shimoji (Japanese); Avery Smitheart (English)
- Alexandra, or Alec, is Teresa's caretaker, assistant, and bodyguard who also attends school along with Teresa and has been in contact with her since childhood. She's fiercely protective of Teresa regarding the activities she does and the people she interacts with. Although, she has a weakness when Teresa asks her for something. She is constantly at war with Kaoru for his flirtatious ways of interacting with Teresa. She has red hair.
- Hajime Sugimoto (杉本 一 Sugimoto Hajime)
- Voiced by: Yūichirō Umehara, Tomokazu Sugita[a] (Japanese); Scott Gibbs (English)
- The President of the Photography Club, he has a personal liking towards girls and desires to photograph them in the nude beyond anything else. He seems to be close with Hinako as the two know each other and also bicker frequently. He's a deep admirer of gravure idol Hina, and has a vast collection of her merchandise, but is unaware that Hina is actually Hinako. He is shown to be a pervert. He is called Pin-senpai by the club members.
- Hinako Hasegawa (長谷川 日向子 Hasegawa Hinako)
- Voiced by: Shizuka Ishigami (Japanese); Shanae'a Moore (English)
- The Class President of Mitsuyoshi's class, she is also a member of the Photography Club although she's mostly a stand-in so the club is not closed down. She seems close to Hajime as she addresses him casually although the two bicker frequently. She's a diligent girl but is secretly the gravure idol Hina, whom Hajime deeply admires, a fact he's oblivious to. Her identity as Hina is known only to Alec and Teresa, while Charles also seems to be suspiciously thinking the same as well.
- Kentarō Yamashita (山下 研太郎 Yamashita Kentarō)
- Voiced by: Hiro Shimono (Japanese); Howard Wang (English)
- A first year in Mitsuyoshi's school, he's nicknamed Yamashita Dog because he always responds to Mitsuyoshi's finger-whistling. He also behaves very much like a dog. He likes the neighbourhood beauty salon owner, though she only sees him as a little brother.
- Yui Tada (多田 ゆい Tada Yui)
- Voiced by: Inori Minase (Japanese); Savanna Menzel (English)
- Mitsuyoshi's younger sister who attends their family Cafe. She has a crush on Yamashita.
- Charles de Loire (シャルル・ド・ロワール Sharuru do Rowāru)
- Voiced by: Takahiro Sakurai (Japanese); Ian Sinclair (English)
- A handsome young man with blonde hair. He is a descendant of French nobility. He has been in contact with Teresa since they were children. In Episode 6, he is revealed to be Teresa's fiance, a fact unknown to everyone except Teresa, Alec and Charles himself. He is introduced to the Photography Club members as Teresa's childhood friend and gets in good terms with everyone by hitting right at their sweet spots. He is destined to become King of Larsenburg by marrying Teresa. Presently, he is a university student and also manages certain companies. During a discussion with Mitsuyoshi and Kaoru, he admits to have fallen in love once while gazing at Teresa.
- Nyanko Big (ニャンコビッグ Nyankobiggu)
- Voiced by: Ari Ozawa / Akio Ōtsuka (voice in his heart)(Japanese); Kyle Jones / Jovan Jackson (voice in his heart)(English)
- A stray cat Mitsuyoshi found and adopted 10 years ago in the current storyline. He is proud of Mitsuyoshi as he has looked over him growing up and striving towards his dream to be a photographer. He has a great dislike for Kaoru. He has his own blog where Mitsuyoshi posts photos writes about his daily encounters with Kaoru. In Episode 3, he is smitten by Cherry, the neighbourhood beauty salon cat.
Production and development
The 13-episode original anime television series by Doga Kobo aired from April 5 to June 28, 2018. The series is directed by Mitsue Yamazaki, with series composition by Yoshiko Nakamura, character designs by Junichiro Taniguchi and music by Yukari Hashimoto. The opening theme is Otomodachi firumu (オトモダチフィルム "Otomodachi Film") performed by Masayoshi Ōishi, and the ending theme is a cover of the Sambomaster song rabu songu (ラブソング "Love Song") performed by Manaka Iwami as her character Teresa Wagner. Sentai Filmworks has licensed the series and streamed it on Hidive.
|No.||Title[b]||Original air date|
|1||"I Can't Just Leave You"|
|April 5, 2018|
Mitsuyoshi encounters Teresa while he is snapping photos of the trees. She asks him to snap a photo of her. Her camera's battery is unfortunately dead. She explains to him how she was separated from her travelmate Alec and is all by herself now with no luggage. He offers to insert her memory card into his camera and take her picture. She excitedly forgets about retrieving her memory card from Mitsuyoshi. They meet again after a short time. Mitsuyoshi giver her memory card back. Teresa takes refuge under an extending roof when it begins to rain. Unfortunately, a part of the tin roof collapses drenching her. She, however, saves a cat from getting wet. Mitsuyoshi encounters her again and invites her to his family's restaurant. After she is dry and comfortable with Yui's clothes on, she calls Alec who arrives all worried and sees Kaoru flirting with Teresa. Sensing an impending danger, she attacks Kaoru but apologizes later after understanding the situation.The next day, two new students are introduced to Mitsuyoshi's class. They turn out to be Teresa and Alec.
|2||"Well, She's Not Wrong"|
"Mā, Machigatcha Inai" (まあ、間違っちゃいない)
|April 12, 2018|
|3||"You Love That"|
"Sore, Sukida nā" (それ、好きだなあ)
|April 19, 2018|
|4||"I'll Pretend I Didn't See This..."|
"Mina katta koto ni shiyō......" (見なかったことにしよう......)
|April 26, 2018|
Hajime Sugimoto gets a chance to personally meet his favorite idol Hina. He is excited about the rare opportunity but chickens out when he thinks about what to say to her. He asks for someone to act as Hina so that he can practice his lines. Everyone declines except Mitsuyoshi, who cannot be thought of as Hina. Finally, Hinako agrees to help him. He struggles to express his thoughts as even pretending that Hina is in front of her causes him to chicken out. He writes down his thoughts about her but when it comes to speaking, he still can not make it. Hinako advises him to write down the character for "person" and swallow it when he feels nervous.
Alec deduces that Hinako is actually Hina and confirms it by casually asking her of how she'd appear in two places at once during the meet. Hinako explains her story to Teresa and Alec at their apartment about how she was initially hired as a substitute for a model but slowly became involved in modelling after gaining a lot of popularity. She thought that she could overcome her shyness by modelling.During the day of the meet, Hajime dresses to impress. He has a weird sense of fashion and ends up wearing a bit too hippy and outrageous clothes. Mitsuyoshi exchanges his clothes with him after losing a rock-paper-scissor contest between the guys to decide who will exchange clothes with Hajime. In front of Hina, Hajime still struggles to speak of his feelings. Hina reminds him to do 'that thing' if he is feeling nervous. Hajime recomposes himself but his time is out and the attendees tells him to leave. He forcefully escapes and finally speaks to her. Hajime later calls Hinako and thanks her for her precious advice. When returning home, he gets in trouble with the law due to his outrageous clothes.
|5||"It's Okay. They Don't Exist"|
"Daijōbu da. Inai kara" (大丈夫だ。いないから)
|May 3, 2018|
Mitsuyoshi's friend Kaoru Ijūin hosts the Yearly Kaoru Ijūin Show in Tada's Coffee Shop where he treats everyone whatever they like. Despite showing annoyance at Kaoru's over-confidence at first, Alec compliments him after eating his food. Later they go to a public bath where Hajime hits his head and passes-out. When going their own ways, Mitsuyoshi thanks Kaoru for the day and he replies by stating that he will do the Yearly Kaoru Ijūin Show even if Mitsuyoshi tells him to stop, and that it is by his own wish that he's doing this and not for him. Mitsuyoshi's sister Yui reveals to Teresa and Alec that it is the day when they lost their parents - their death anniversary. After Mitsuyoshi lost his parents in an accident, Kaoru tried to befriend him and told him that he can talk to him if he feels the need to get anything off his chest. Initially, Mitsuyoshi thought Kaoru was weird but later realized that it was his own way of cheering him up and offering support. The next year during their parents' first death anniversary, Kaoru came to Tada's Cafe and declared the Kaoru Ijūin Show, and he has been doing it yearly ever since.In the aftermath, Charles comes to Japan and gifts Teresa a bouquet, addressing her as "Princess".
|6||"I'm Not a Rain-bringer"|
"Ame Otoko, Janai zo" (雨男、じゃないぞ)
|May 10, 2018|
|7||"It's Better Than Crying"|
"Nakareru yori wa īdaro" (泣かれるよりはいいだろ)
|May 17, 2018|
|8||"Did You Say You Were a Rain-bringer?"|
"Ame Onna dattakke?" (雨女だったっけ？)
|May 24, 2018|
|9||"I Don't Have One Now..."|
"Ima wa, mō, nai......" (今は、もう、ない......)
|May 31, 2018|
|10||"It Isn't the Real One"|
"Honmono, Janai yo na" (本物、じゃないよな)
|June 7, 2018|
|Mitsuyoshi and Teresa spend their day together. The next day at school, much to the surprise of everyone, they hear that Teresa and Alec have left Japan and returned to their homeland.|
"Tokuni wa Nani mo" (特には何も)
|June 14, 2018|
|Months pass by and the school semester comes to an end. Mitsuyoshi realizes his love for Teresa. He decides to fly to Larsenburg, despite being agoraphobic. Kaoru, his grandfather, his sister and his friends offer their full support.|
|12||"Sorry for Surprising You..."|
"......Totsuzen, Gomen" (……突然、ごめん)
|June 21, 2018|
|Mitsuyoshi flies to Larsenburg to confess to Teresa, still unaware of the fact that she is a Princess. Charles insists that Teresa tell Mitsuyoshi everything truthfully. After knowing the truth, Mitsuyoshi leaves heartbroken and Teresa's condition also isn't too good. She tells Alec to leave her alone for a while and cries in her bed as Mitsuyoshi walks away. Kaoru finally finds him with tears flowing down his face and is shocked at the rare sight. Nothing went as expected by him.|
|13||"I'll Never Forget It, Either"|
"Ore mo, Isshō, Wasurenai" (俺も、一生、忘れない)
|June 28, 2018|
|After being confronted by Kaoru, Mitsuyoshi decides to go to the engagement ceremony--after all, Rachel gave him an invitation. Mitsuyoshi did talk to Teresa afterward, and they reveal each other's feelings. Charles saw this one coming as he invites Alec to the outdoor terrace. A few weeks passed and Hajime graduates, with Mitsuyoshi becoming the new president of the photography club; while back in Larsenburg, as Rachel is revealed to be the writer behind "Sunflower Express,' news of Charles breaking off his engagement to Teresa makes headline news. He is spotted drinking coffee in some outdoor cafe with Alec, saying he broke the engagement because he wasn't keen on the engagement at first anyway, and that he needs to play around some more. As Mitsuyoshi takes photos of a cherry blossom tree, rain starts to fall. When he rushes to take shelter, Teresa shades him with her umbrella out of nowhere, much to Mitsuyoshi's surprise, and declares her definite love for him. The two then share a kiss under the cherry blossom tree as the rain clears.|
- Due to Yūichirō Umehara's illness, from the 11th episode onwards Tomokazu Sugita voices the character.
- All English titles are taken from Hidive.
- "Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun Staff's Original Tada-kun wa Koi o Shinai Anime Reveals Cast, Story". Anime News Network. November 2, 2017. Retrieved November 25, 2017.
- "Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun Staff Makes 2018 Original Romance TV Anime Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai". Anime News Network. September 30, 2017. Retrieved November 25, 2017.
- "Original Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai Anime Reveals New Visual". Anime News Network. December 28, 2017. Retrieved December 31, 2017.
- "Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai Reveals New Visual, Website Updates, and Broadcast Time". MANGA.TOKYO. March 1, 2018. Retrieved March 1, 2018.
- "Sentai Filmworks Licenses Tada Never Falls In Love Anime (Update)". Anime News Network. March 29, 2018. Retrieved April 27, 2018.
- "Tada Never Falls In Love Anime's English Dub Stars Josh Grelle, Sarah Wiedenheft". Anime News Network. September 28, 2018. Retrieved September 28, 2018.
- "Tada Never Falls in Love Anime Replaces Yuichiro Umehara With Tomokazu Sugita". Anime News Network. June 12, 2018. Retrieved June 12, 2018.
- "Tada Never Falls in Love Introduces new Charming Character for Episode 3". MANGA.TOKYO. April 13, 2018. Retrieved April 13, 2018.
- Pineda, Rafael Antonio (April 6, 2018). "Tada Never Falls in Love Anime Listed With 12 Episodes". Anime News Network. Retrieved April 6, 2018.
- "Blu-ray&DVD" (in Japanese). Tadakoi Partners. Retrieved June 8, 2018.
- "ストーリー" (in Japanese). Retrieved April 8, 2018.
- "放送情報" (in Japanese). Tokyo MX. Retrieved May 14, 2018.