Tadashi Irie (入江 禎 Irie Tadashi?, born December 9, 1944 in Uwajima, Ehime) is a yakuza, the head (kumicho) of the Osaka-based 2nd Takumi-gumi and the grand general manager (so-honbucho) of the 6th Yamaguchi-gumi. He is regarded as the number-three leader of the 6th Yamaguchi-gumi, the largest known yakuza syndicate.
Irie began his career as a yakuza when he joined the Fukui-gumi, a Yamaguchi affiliate based in Osaka. He later joined the Takumi-gumi in 1978 when Masaru Takumi, then the number-two member (wakagashira) of the Fukui-gumi, became an executive underboss (jikisan) of the 3rd Yamaguchi-gumi. Prior to this he was the head of his own clan, the Irie-gumi, which he formed in 1975, but following this he merged it into the Takumi-gumi.
He was known for his unwavering loyalty to Masaru Takumi; he had been offered the Yamaguchi-gumi's executive position several times, but he repeatedly declined, preferring to be Takumi's henchman. In 1997 when Takumi was assassinated by the Nakano-kai, he succeeded as the head of the Takumi-gumi, making excessively ruthless organized attacks on the Nakano-kai in retaliation.
He entered the Kobe headquarters of the Yamaguchi-gumi in 1997 when he became the head of the Takumi-gumi. He was promoted to wakagashira-hosa (one of the number-three underbosses) in 2005, and following the start of the sixth era headed by Shinobu Tsukasa from the Kodo-kai of Nagoya, he flew the de facto number-three position (so-honbucho).
On December 1, 2010 — just 2 weeks after the arrest of the "number-two of the Yamaguchi-gumi" Kiyoshi Takayama —, Irie, as the "number-three of the Yamaguchi-gumi", was arrested on suspicion of compensating the relatives of a hitman (a member of the Takumi-gumi) who had been jailed for murdering a senior member of the Nakano-kai. He was charged with paying 3.9 million yen ($46,555) to the hitman's relatives, whom he had paid a total of at least approximately US$250,000. He was released on bail on December 24 of that year, and received a jail sentence of 10 months in March 2011.
|Kumicho of Takumi-gumi
- The Sixth Yamaguchi-gumi Complete Databook 2008 Edition : "Tadashi Irie (Takumi-gumi)", December 2008, Mediax, ISBN 4-86201-358-9
- "Police anti-gang drive in trouble", December 11, 2010, Asahi Shimbun
- "Osaka Police Nab Another Yakuza Boss as Crackdown Continues", December 1, 2010, The Wall Street Journal
- "Into the Yamaguchi-gumi's 'total domination' of the underworld", September 10, 2008, Monthly Central Journal, Central News Bank (Japanese)
- "Dawn raid on Japanese syndicate", December 1, 2010, The Courier-Mail
- "Takumi-gumi kumicho receives a 10 months jail sentence after confessing to charges", February 28, 2011, Sankei Shimbun (Japanese)
- "Japan's No. 3 gangster arrested in police war on underworld", December 1, 2010, AFP
- "200,000 yen per month to a member in prison – the arrested Yamaguchi-gumi number-three", December 1, 2010. Asahi Shimbun (Japanese)
- "Yamaguchi-gumi : Kumicho of the Takumi-gumi, who compensated a hitman's family, is released", December 25, 2010, Mainichi Shimbun (Japanese)