|Education||Lycée Sainte-Marie Grand Lebrun|
University of Oxford
|Awards||Paul R. Halmos–Lester R. Ford Award (2014)|
|Doctoral advisor||William Browder|
|Doctoral students||Anik Soulière|
Tadashi Tokieda (in Japanese: 時枝 正) is a Japanese mathematician, working in mathematical physics. He is a professor of mathematics at Stanford University; previously he was the Director of Studies in Mathematics at Trinity Hall, Cambridge. He is also very active in inventing, collecting, and studying toys that uniquely reveal and explore real-world surprises of mathematics and physics. In comparison with most mathematicians, he had an unusual path in life: he started as a painter, and then became a classical philologist, before switching to mathematics.
Life and career
Tokieda was born in Japan and grew up as a painter. He was then educated at Lycée Sainte-Marie Grand Lebrun in France as a classical philologist. According to his personal homepage, he taught himself basic mathematics from Russian collections of problems. He is a 1989 classics graduate from Sophia University in Tokyo and has a 1991 bachelor's degree from Oxford in mathematics (where he studied as a British Council Fellow). He obtained his PhD at Princeton under the supervision of William Browder.
He has been involved in the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences since its beginning in 2003.
In the academic year 2015–2016 he was the Poincaré Distinguished Visiting Professor at Stanford.
- Tokieda, Tadashi (2013). "Roll Models". The American Mathematical Monthly. 120 (3): 265–282. doi:10.4169/amer.math.monthly.120.03.265.
- Childress, Stephen; Spagnolie, Saverio E.; Tokieda, Tadashi (2011). "A bug on a raft: recoil locomotion in a viscous fluid". Journal of Fluid Mechanics. 669: 527–556. doi:10.1017/S002211201000515X.
- Montaldi, James; Tokieda, Tadashi (2003). "Openness of momentum maps and persistence of extremal relative equilibria". Topology. 42: 833–844. doi:10.1016/S0040-9383(02)00047-2.
- Aref, Hassan; Newton, Paul K.; Stremler, Mark A.; Tokieda, Tadashi; Vainchtein, Dmitri L. (2003). "Vortex Crystals". Advances in Applied Mechanics. 39: 1–79. doi:10.1016/s0065-2156(02)39001-x.
- Tokieda, Tadashi (2001). "Tourbillons dansants". Comptes Rendus de l'Académie des Sciences, Série I. 333: 943–946. doi:10.1016/S0764-4442(01)02162-0.
- Tokieda, Tadashi (1998). "Mechanical Ideas in Geometry". The American Mathematical Monthly. 105 (8): 697–703. doi:10.2307/2588986. JSTOR 2588986.
- 数学まなびはじめ 第３集 (in Japanese). Tōkyō: Nihon Hyōronsha. 23 July 2015. pp. 190–203. ISBN 978-4-535-78592-2.
- personal homepage at Trinity Hall
- homepage at Radcliffe Institute for Advanced study (Harvard)
- bio at the Modern Mathematics International summer school for students
- Tokieda at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- homepage Archived 2016-06-05 at the Wayback Machine. at Trinity Hall
- homepage at Stanford University