Tadeusz Piotrowski (sociologist)
|Genre||World War II history|
Tadeusz Piotrowski or Thaddeus Piotrowski (born 1940) is a Polish-American sociologist. He is a Professor of Sociology in the Social Science Division of the University of New Hampshire at Manchester in Manchester, New Hampshire, where he lives.
Piotrowski's courses at the University of New Hampshire include the social history of the Holocaust and courses in anthropology. Piotrowski is the author of several books on the subject of Poland's World War II history, with a special focus on Polish ethnic groups and minorities. Some of his chosen subjects include the Soviet invasion of Poland and the ethnic-cleansing by Ukrainian nationalists in Volhynia, where he lived with his family under the Soviet and German occupations until 1943. Piotrowski received several awards for promoting Polish history and culture in North America through his books, and for preserving the memory of the Polish struggle for independence.
- Ph.D. in sociology, University of Pennsylvania, 1973
- M.A., University of Pennsylvania, 1971
- B.A., St. Francis University, 1963
- Vengeance of the Swallows: Memoir of a Polish Family's Ordeal Under Soviet Aggression, Ukrainian Ethnic Cleansing and Nazi Enslavement, and Their Emigration to America (1995), McFarland & Company, ISBN 978-0-7864-0001-0
- Poland's Holocaust (1998, 2006), McFarland, ISBN 978-0-7864-2913-4, ISBN 0-7864-0371-3
- Genocide and Rescue in Wolyn (2000, 2009), McFarland, ISBN 978-0-7864-4245-4, ISBN 0-7864-0773-5
- The Indian Heritage of New Hampshire and Northern New England (2002, 2009), McFarland, ISBN 0-7864-4252-2, ISBN 0-7864-1098-1
- The Polish Deportees of World War II (2004, 2008), McFarland, ISBN 978-0-7864-3258-5, ISBN 0-7864-1847-8.
- UNH Outstanding Associate Professor Award, the Faculty Scholar Award and a three-year Carpenter Professorship Award
- The Cultural Achievement Award from the American Council for Polish Culture
- The Literary Award of the Polish Sociocultural Centre of the Polish Library in London
- The Gold Medal Award of the American Institute of Polish Culture in Florida
- The Interpreter of Perennial Wisdom Award from the Monuments Conservancy of New York.
- Certificate of Merit from the Warsaw-based Association of Combat Veterans and Former Political Prisoners of the Republic of Poland.
- University of New Hampshire at Manchester, Thaddeus Piotrowski. Faculty. Internet Archive.
- McFarland Publishing, Thaddeus Piotrowski. About the Author. ISBN 978-0-7864-4252-2.
- McFarland Publishing, Poland’s Holocaust, description. Archived 2011-06-04 at the Wayback Machine.
- The American Institute of Polish Culture, Miami, "Gold Medal Awards" 1987-2009 Archived 2011-06-12 at the Wayback Machine.
- The UNH News for Faculty and Staff: Campus Journal, Thaddeus Piotrowski’s fifth major work. Higher Learning, Jan. 16, 2004 Edition.
- John Walters, "Eastern Europe and Western Indians". New Hampshire Public Radio, October 3, 2002.[Forced redirect.]
- University of New Hampshire at Manchester, "Campus Connections: "Faculty News", February 2007" (PDF). (161 KB)
- Polish American Historical Association, ""Personalia", Volume 64, Number 1, April 2007" (PDF). (1.08 MB)
- Polish American Historical Association, ""Personalia", Volume 65, Number 2, October 2008" (PDF). (432 KB)