|Also known as||
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
|Revised Romanization||Sonyeo Sidae-Taetiseo|
Girls' Generation-TTS (Hangul: 소녀시대-태티서, also known as TTS, TaeTiSeo, or Girls' Generation-TaeTiSeo) is a subgroup of South Korean girl group Girls' Generation, formed by S.M. Entertainment in 2012. It is composed of three Girls' Generation members: Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Seohyun. The group has released three EPs: Twinkle (2012), Holler (2014), and Dear Santa (2015).
2012: Debut with Twinkle
During the year 2012, South Korean girl group Girls' Generation went through an unannounced hiatus as the majority of the group's members were focusing on individual activities. Some acted in television dramas while others participated in various television programs. The subgroup TTS was born because members Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Seohyun wanted to carry on with their music activities. All three were hosts of the weekly music program Show! Music Core at the time.  On April 19, 2012, S.M. Entertainment officially announced the formation of the subgroup and hinted at the possibility of other future subgroups, explaining, "the members of the unit [are rotated] according to the [unique] music and concept of each new subgroup album." Compared to Girls' Generation, TTS's main focus is on each member's vocal ability while the original group places more emphasis on the overall songs and uniform group performances. The name "TaeTiSeo" or "TTS", is made up of the first syllables of Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Seohyun.
Their debut EP, Twinkle, was released on April 29, 2012. It was the first album by a Korean artist to rank number 1 on the Billboard World Albums chart. At the time, it was also the highest charting K-pop album on the Billboard 200, reaching number 126. The title track of the same name sold 2,520,485 digital copies in South Korea as of July 2014, and the album has sold 155,521 copies in South Korea. TTS became the first subgroup to achieve a "triple crown" on South Korean music shows, reigning in the number 1 spot for three weeks in a row.
2014–present: Holler and Dear Santa
In September 2014, the group released their second EP, Holler, selling 87,513 copies. The album debuted at number 1 on South Korea's Gaon Album Chart and the Billboard World Albums chart. With this achievement, TTS become the third Korean artist, and the first female artist, to have more than one number 1 on the Billboard World Albums chart. During an interview with Billboard, the three singers shared, "This album was really personal for us and it was fun...to put out a much more raw side of our music...the music we put together has so much more layers, so much more depth to it in terms of sound, choruses or harmonizing together....Our main goal was to not be visually entertaining, but be vocally entertaining." They also revealed that Seohyun wrote the lyrics to one of the songs, "Only U", while Tiffany served as the visual director to the concept of "Holler" music video. During promotions, the three singers were featured in the reality show The TaeTiSeo. The show took on the personal side of Taeyeon, Tiffany and Seohyun, revealing how they live their normal everyday lives and what they do in their free time. Some footage of the album preparation was also shown.
In December 2015, TTS released their third EP, a Christmas special album titled Dear Santa. The album debuted at number 2 on South Korea's Gaon Albums Chart and has sold at least 60,456 copies to date. Seohyun wrote the lyrics to the title track "Dear Santa". As an effort to support music education for children in Asia, TTS contributed a part of the album's sales profits to a charity called "SMile for U", a campaign held between SM Entertainment and UNICEF.
|2014||The TaeTiSeo||OnStyle||premiered on August 26|
|"OMG (Oh My God)"||Unknown|
|"Dear Santa" (English ver.)||Unknown|
Awards and nominations
- "Kiss The Radio - May 4, 2012". Kiss the Radio. May 4, 2012. KBS Cool FM.
- Ho, Stewart (May 23, 2012). "Seohyun Reveals Which SNSD Member She Would Pick to Join Taetiseo". eNewsWorld. Retrieved March 20, 2016.
- Subgroup "TTS", formed by Girls' Generation's Taeyeon, Tiffany & Seohyun, debuts in May (in Korean) Daum.net (April 19, 2012). Retrieved on April 20, 2012.
- "Tiffany's Interview". Korea InStyle Magazine (August 2014). August 2014. Retrieved August 2014. Check date values in:
- "Guerilla Date with TTS (Entertainment Weekly / 2014.10.11)" (Video upload). KBS World on YouTube. Google Inc. October 11, 2014. Retrieved March 18, 2016.
- Kim, Erika (May 8, 2012). "Taetiseo Twinkles in Live 'Wide Entertainment News' Broadcast". eNewsWorld. Retrieved March 20, 2016.
- Benjamin, Jeff (September 26, 2014). "Girls' Generation-TTS Earns 2nd Consecutive No. 1 on World Albums Chart". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- Benjamin, Jeff (May 4, 2012). "Girls' Generation Splinter Group Enters Billboard 200". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved August 1, 2014.
- "South Korea's Gaon chart's overall download sales of 2012". Gaon Digital Chart (in Korean). Archived from the original on July 16, 2014. Retrieved July 23, 2014.
- Cumulative sales for "Twinkle":
- "Gaon Album Chart - 2012 (see #8)". Gaon Chart. Korea Music Content Industry Association. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved March 4, 2016.
- "Gaon Album Chart - August 2013 (see #78)". Gaon Chart. Korea Music Content Industry Association. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved March 4, 2016.
- "Gaon Album Chart - September 2014 (see #72)". Gaon Chart. Korea Music Content Industry Association. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved March 4, 2016.
- Jackson, Julie (September 11, 2014). "TaeTiSeo to drop EP 'Holler' next week". The Korea Herald. Herald Corporation. Retrieved January 28, 2015.
- "Taetiseo to Conclude Promotions on June 3; Will Be First 4 Time Triple Crown Winner as Unit". eNewsWorld. CJ E&M. May 31, 2012. Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- "TaeTiSeo to drop EP 'Holler' next week". The Korea Herald. Herald Corporation. September 11, 2014. Retrieved September 14, 2014.
- Cumulative sales for "Holler":
- "Gaon Album Chart - 2014 (see #22)". Gaon Chart. Korea Music Content Industry Association. Archived from the original on March 3, 2016. Retrieved March 22, 2016.
- "Gaon Album Chart - July 2015 (see #52)". Gaon Chart. Korea Music Content Industry Association. Archived from the original on March 3, 2016. Retrieved March 22, 2016.
- "Holler (2014)". September 14–20, 2014. Archived from the original on September 27, 2014.
- Benjamin, Jeff (September 16, 2014). "Girls' Generation-TTS on Why New 'Holler' EP Represents Their 'Mind, Body and Soul']". Billboard. Retrieved September 17, 2014.
- "Pops in Seoul Ep2742 Buzz, Kidoh, Girls' Generation-TTS, T-ara" (Video upload). Arirang on YouTube. Google Inc. October 5, 2014. Retrieved March 22, 2016.
- "TaeTiSeo To Star In New Reality Show 'The TaeTiSeo'". Bntnews. August 22, 2014. Retrieved August 22, 2014.
- "Girls Generation New Reality Show 'The Taetiseo', Stars Taeyeon, Tiffany, Seohyun". Breathecast. August 18, 2014. Retrieved August 18, 2014.
- "Dear Santa". November 29 – December 6, 2015. Archived from the original on December 11, 2015.
- "Gaon's Yearly Album Chart 2015". Gaon Album Chart. Korea Music Content Industry Association. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved March 14, 2016.
- "Taetiseo Talks SNSD and Inspiration Behind ′Dear Santa′ in Christmas Spread". eWorldNews. December 20, 2015. Retrieved March 14, 2016.
- "Taetiseo to Donate Part of Proceeds from ′Dear Santa′". eNewsWorld. December 1, 2015. Retrieved March 20, 2016.
- Jung Hee-seo (June 27, 2015). "8인조 소녀시대, 드디어 컴백이 다가온다". XportsNews (in Korean). Retrieved March 25, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Girls' Generation-TTS.|